What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nose gear squeak

sirlegin

Well Known Member
It appears that my nose wheel attach bolt has worn the mount holes in the engine mount and requires work.
Does anybody have experience in removing the bolt, re drilling and reaming to fit a slightly larger mil spec bolt in place with limited room for angle drills and the like?

Make sure the attachment bolt hole is in fact worn before getting too worked up. It could be that the lower journal surface is dry and squeaking. Been there, done that.

If there is a squeak, something is moving, I would pull the bolt and inspect, there is a long thread of a guys nose gear bolt sheered, well, his was because he had the nose wheel stop on the wrong way, but still, a prop strike is a lot of work.....

My hangar mate has a Socata that had a nose wheel squeak. It was very obvious every time it was pushed back into the hangar. He cleaned and re-packed the bearings - no luck. Replaced the bearings - still no luck. It ended up that the wheel halves weren't torqued together properly, they were fretting. Once they were tightened, no squeak.

Cameron
RV4 serial #68

My hangar mate has a Socata that had a nose wheel squeak. It was very obvious every time it was pushed back into the hangar. He cleaned and re-packed the bearings - no luck. Replaced the bearings - still no luck. It ended up that the wheel halves weren't torqued together properly, they were fretting. Once they were tightened, no squeak.

Cameron
RV4 serial #68

interesting, never heard of that one before :rolleyes:

Back