What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting the wings

hcccs

Well Known Member
Before mating the wings to the fuselage of my RV4 I measured the distance between the main and rear spars of the wings and checked against the fuselage.
I turned out that the wings were 3mm (0.12 in.) greater than the fuselage. How do I tackle this?

fitting the wings

Are you serious ? .012----you can't measure anything that close on -4 just a little bit of grease and force.........Tomcatrv4

Wing fit

I would not get too worried until you actually fit the wings.
The fuse rear spar will flex that much. Before you fit the wings, just make sure you bevel all sharp edges, to help the parts slide together. A little lube would not hurt. Make up some drift pins to help align the spars with the steel splice plates. This way you won't mess up your good bolts. Only use the correct bolts the very last time. The wings will come off/on several times. Have the bottom nut plates holes marked, and ready to drill. Have a couple helpers and take your time. Good luck.

I would not get too worried until you actually fit the wings.
The fuse rear spar will flex that much. Before you fit the wings, just make sure you bevel all sharp edges, to help the parts slide together. A little lube would not hurt. Make up some drift pins to help align the spars with the steel splice plates. This way you won't mess up your good bolts. Only use the correct bolts the very last time. The wings will come off/on several times. Have the bottom nut plates holes marked, and ready to drill. Have a couple helpers and take your time. Good luck.

IT's a relief to hear that. I bought some standard AN bolts for initial fitting as recommended by Vans.
Thanks!

Bolts

Take the bolts and grind down the ends and make "bullet" type ends.
You really won't need to use the threads or nuts, you are looking at just making alignment pins. The sharp end or threads will just damage the holes.
Use lube on the bolts/pins. You will only need 4 or so pins when test fitting the wings. If you want to bolt them up, use one size smaller bolts, next to the alignment pins to help clamp up everything. Good luck.

You say you have a .12 difference, not .012. That?s nearly 1/8? (.125). At least the wing dimension is greater than the fuselage, not less. That means you can drill out the rear spar F-406 and shim it to match the wing if necessary.

Cameron Smith
RV4 serial #68

A small step for a man ...

I fitted the wings today. My initial measurement of the wings and fuselage was wrong and the wings fitted perfectly. What a relief!
The fuselage brackets (F463) that holds the tanks didn't fit at all. I thought I made them according to the plans but I need to make new ones.

Back