What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

paint booth: How does it look?

It looks like you are using a Mylar plastic for the walls. Overspray will collect on the plastic, and when dry, will flake off and fall into your project or next item to get painted. Check with an auto paint supplier and ask for a roll of auto body cover film. Spray paint will actually stick to this stuff. Maybe use the first stuff on the outside of the booth and the good stuff on the inside.

At the same paint supply store, they will have a liquid spray material that you can apply to the concrete floor. This will keep the dust and overspray from being kicked up when you are painting. After a few painting sessions, you can sweep out the dust and then reapply the coating.

So I need filters for intake? I was looking at a few threads about paint booths.

I am priming with Epoxy. How much is dust an issue since the primer dries pretty quick? Or is it the air flow that causes the dust.

If I need intake filters, then I will have to build the area much bigger. I was planning on standing at the door to spray.

Thanks for the tips, this is why I posted.

ken

So I need filters for intake? I was looking at a few threads about paint booths.

I am priming with Epoxy. How much is dust an issue since the primer dries pretty quick? Or is it the air flow that causes the dust.

If I need intake filters, then I will have to build the area much bigger. I was planning on standing at the door to spray.

Thanks for the tips, this is why I posted.

ken

If all you're doing is priming, dust isn't a worry. Even on the interior pieces, you'll scuff sand it before you paint, and the scuffing will knock off any trash in the primer.

For finish painting, you'll probably want filters.

Plenty adequate for a priming (vice painting) booth, but where are you going to put the parts? Chicken wire fence for a table top? Hanging the parts? If you are mixing a two-part epoxy, it would be nice to have a sturdy bench to mix the epoxy and clean the gun. Otherwise, looks good. Jim

I have two 2 by 2s going across the top. I plan to use thin stainless steel wire to hang the parts. I will cover the floor with something. I plan to mix there. Either that or I will put a piece of plywood on the driveway and mix outside. My goal is to avoid fumes in the building.

I really wish that I could prime at work in a fume hood. But that would not go over well.

Thanks again.

paint booth rans

Curious about the fans. I assume you'll eventually shoot some solvent based primer or base coat/clear coat in the booth, right? With the fans running, is there any concern about ignition? I've seen explosion proof fans for sale, but they're really expensive. Just curious about anybody else's experience or concerns with using the low-buck box fans for ventilation.

The electric motors on these fans do not have any type of components in them that would ordinarily cause a spark. The only sparking will possibly be in the switch. If you turn on the fan before you begin spraying and leave it on after spraying until the fumes have been evacuated there will not be a problem.

Really?

The electric motors on these fans do not have any type of components in them that would ordinarily cause a spark....

It this true? Are these brushless motors?

I've seen people use marine bilge fume fans because they are explosion proof. Don't know if it's overkill though.

T.

Fan motor

Please consider finding a sealed motor fan to reduce spark potential. Good comment earlier to turn fan on before spraying and leave running until all fumes have been dispersed.

Pat Garboden
Katy, TX
RV9A
N942PT

I'd just flip the whole thing around. Fans in the garage/door to the yard. Hang a sheet door on low to the ground, but leaving small gap.

Then add a tight screen or filter to the suction side of the fans, reposition the fans to pressurize the booth. less chance of sucking bugs and blowing them into your booth.
The over spray will go out the bottom gap, you'll be sucking fresh filtered air through the fans(less hazard).

Exhaust filters?

Do you plan to plan to place filters between the booth proper and exhaust fans? If you don't, overspray can collect on the fan & blades, and be exhausted to the outside as well. Also second the previous comment about being certain that you have brushless motors, as brushes/commutator contact can occasionally make sparks.
Having filters prior to the exhaust will also tend to make the exhaust air/fume mixture a little leaner, and hopefully get it to nearer and maybe even below its lower flammable limit.

I was wondering if I should put filters on the fans. I was worried about the filters clogging and reducing flow. The fans are cheap. I plan to run them until the die. Actually I will see what happens after the first priming batch.

I don't think that you want to blow air in. You want to suck it out. If the air flow is high enough, then I won't worry about the explosion issue. Maybe I will ask an engineer at work to see if they think that I will hit any explosion limit. I can get the CFM of the fans (hopefully) and give them the size of the opening and what solvents. They will be able to give me some idea if I should be concerned.

I was wondering about exhausting the material outside to the back yard. I don't want to **** off any of the neighbors or the potential for wind blowing the epoxy back towards the house or garage and end up coating something with priming. The last thing that I want to do is expose someone to this stuff. It contains strontium chromate, which is obviously toxic.

I've seen people use marine bilge fume fans because they are explosion proof. Don't know if it's overkill though.T.

Definitely not overkill and definitely a good idea. I bought 2x 4" marine bilge exhaust fans and used them in a paint booth about 2x the size of yours. They move about 200-ish cu ft/min. [like this one] I had a door with an intake filter up top and I put a filter on the interior side of a 2x6" framed exhaust port. Then ran the marine filters out the supplied hoses outside into an open Home Depot bucket half-filled with water to "catch" the exhausted spray. (I had neighbors right over the fence at the time and this knocked the smell down significantly!) Just remember to get yourself a decent 12V PSU to run the fans.

You are almost there! Looks great.

Back