What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

xplane simulator

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
I have never felt the need to play with flight simulators but since getting my IFR status I can see some real benefits. Currently I am using the xplane system and I am looking for a good RV model. I downloaded a Coranda (sp?) Bonanza and it seems to fly well with similar speeds to RVs. However the panel is older technology and I would really like to find something that mimics my 4500 AFS/430W combination. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am running a MAC system and I am not sure that the FXS simulator will work here and so the FSX vs xplane debate is not really something that I want to get into at this time.
The simulator is much better then I thought it would be and surprise surprise you have to get used to the "airplane" and its quirks before trying approaches. The ability to use real time weather or to set your own conditions is pretty cool.

Are you using a joystick? I have really been wanting to get this since I can't run Microsoft Flight Sim on my Mac. I download the free trial, but don't have a joystick yet and it was incredibly difficult. I also have been wanting it for practice IFR purposes.

I've been using X-Plane 10 on the Mac. I have to say, I have not found a good RV model, and the 430 add-on you can purchase for X-Plane (3rd party) is for Windows... The built-in "430" on X-Plane has only a few functions compared to the real world unit.

Still, as you said, there is plenty to practice and learn, approach-wise and otherwise, even if it's a different airplane with different avionics. There are various workarounds, too - for example, you can send X-Plane's simulated GPS data to ForeFlight on an iPad for a moving map (either sectional or low IFR).

Hopefully not too far off topic, here are a couple recommendations for those interested in trying out X-Plane:

As far as a joystick, I find the CH Products Flightstick Pro to be infinitely better than the cheapo joysticks available. For a very high performance "trainer," Jason Chandler has an inexpensive, responsive model here. For practicing with live, human ATC interaction, I recommend PilotEdge.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am using the pro flight stick from CH products and it seems to work well with the xplane program on my Mac system.
NM Doug, I checked out the trainer and the ATC program I will definitely take a look at them.

Currently I am using the xplane system and I am looking for a good RV model.

Using Google: I have only been able to find an RV-10 and RV-8 for xplane.

There are simple models of all the RV planes in the "C:\Program Files\X-Plane 10\Extra Aircraft\Experimental\Vans RVs" folder.

You can copy any of these to the Aircraft folder and then open it in Plane-Maker and tweak it to behave closer to the real plane. You can also modify the panel. Something I did was change the tail wheel on the RV-6 to a nose wheel and moved the main gear back.

Any plane you download can also be tweaked in Plane-maker. Just make a copy and can call it something else so you keep the original. Some of the things I've tweaked was putting a smaller engine in a Piper Warrior; and changing the characteristics of the flaps on a C-172 so it wouldn't pitch up every time I put in more flaps.

....and changing the characteristics of the flaps on a C-172 so it wouldn't pitch up every time I put in more flaps.

Hmmm, I don't know about newer 172s, but my 1955 Cessna 180 has a profound and serious pitch up when I add more flaps, especially at slower speeds.

It's due to the local change in downwash over the tail, which increases the tail's negative angle of attack and therefore its download. It's a very real thing.

In fact, the hardest maneuver to do is a go-around with full flaps. Typically, the plane is at full aft trim, with the moveable stabilizer (which differs from a 172) full leading edge down. Power off, it's in trim with full flaps, solo. Full power gives a surprising pitch-up. You really have to lean on the wheel.

If 'twere me, I'd want the sim to be realistic. Of course I don't know how the newer 172s fly, maybe they've gotten rid of even a small pitch up.

Dave

Dave

You guys still leaning towards x-plane and a CH stick? I've a 9A and starting my IFR training shortly and want a decent simulator software and stick. Thx, DM

I used x-plane a lot during my IFR training - and even if the handling is not quite accurate (I find it much more sensitive, and harder to fly, than the real thing) it was great to practice all the steps necessary to fly holds, approaches, etc. I would get out my approach plates and checklists and actually fly the approaches, talking myself through each step. I think it was a big help, especially for practicing holds. And afterwards you can view your track on the map and see how well you did.

I just used the base C172 model, as that's what I fly right now; not sure about a good RV model...

I used x-plane a lot during my IFR training - and even if the handling is not quite accurate (I find it much more sensitive, and harder to fly, than the real thing) it was great to practice all the steps necessary to fly holds, approaches, etc. I would get out my approach plates and checklists and actually fly the approaches, talking myself through each step. I think it was a big help, especially for practicing holds. And afterwards you can view your track on the map and see how well you did.

I just used the base C172 model, as that's what I fly right now; not sure about a good RV model...
I think xplane has a 9 now. Cessna will do. Wut brand stick u end up with? Thx for your input. Dm

I used the CH yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant. No stick because I bought before I decided to become an rv pilot (dark days...). But with enough tweaking I have the system fairly accurate I think.

Chris

Baytower RV7 (A) for FSX. Much better than any current RV offerings for X-Plane. Not saying X-Plane is bad (except for it's awful default RVs).....it's just that the Baytower is a much better representation, for a desktop simulated airplane. It really does have believable flight dynamics.

Stick

Anyone suggest a stick that's good for fsx? Want to dabble with some ifr approaches and holds. Either will be a CH or Saitek just
don't know which model

Joy Stick for FSX

I have been using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro with Microsoft Flight Sim X for several years with no problems. I'm not sure what the latest model is...

Microsoft FSX

I have been learning IFR and using FSX to practice. I find it extremely helpful to fly the CC on the flight sim prior to the real thing. I have been using the G1000 172 that comes with it and it flies good enough for IFR. In fact, the things I screw up on in the air I also screw up on the sim. I find the real plane easier to trim, but it is good to see how good of holding patterns I am actually flying. Too bad I cant log the time.

I have been learning IFR and using FSX to practice. I find it extremely helpful to fly the CC on the flight sim prior to the real thing. I have been using the G1000 172 that comes with it and it flies good enough for IFR. In fact, the things I screw up on in the air I also screw up on the sim. I find the real plane easier to trim, but it is good to see how good of holding patterns I am actually flying. Too bad I cant log the time.

Which plane do you fly?

Back