What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPG polyurethane

rv468

I am interested in knowing what people have paid for PPG polyurethane paint. I called one PPG paint store in Albuquerque and was told that PPG did not sell polyurethane, only acrylic enamel with hardener. I called a second store. They said they sold PPG polyurethane and gave me a quote of over $665 for a gallon of yellow with the activator. This is about 2 ? times what Imron cost. Is this what others have paid?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Smith
RV4 #68

PPG used to have a paint called DURATHANE. I haven't seen that stuff in stores in almost 10 years. There used to be good selection of aviation polyurethanes. Some have gone away due to mergers and buyouts.

$665 for a gallon of yellow :eek: For that much you can send me the money for a couple of gallons, I'll buy it then drive it to your house. And, I'll bring beer.

Last edited:
Hi,
I don't believe they sell a polyurethane in their normal auto job shop line of paint. What is wrong with thier Acrylic Urethane? I have used a number of the PPG products. Last year I repaired my 18 foot Lund aluminum speed boat and used thier acrylic urethane called Concept DCC. Concept is the exact product the Lund factory uses. My boat takes a lot of punishment (my kids!!) It is mixed with a catalyst and reducer. No clear coat!!! I just looked at my reciept. One quart of paint was $45.88 in May 2005. You will also need reducer and hardner. PPG has a fair to poor website: http://www.ppg.com/cr-refinish/ I am going to paint my RV4 project in a few months and plan to use Concept DCC again. Sorry for the long answer and side information. Cheers

try this web site

Try this web site.... they sell the PPG paint and describe the options...

For a 70's GM Corvette yellow

http://www.ppgcarpaint.com/paints-b...PNId=4133&Year=1975&AutoMakerId=52&ModelId=52

Price is in the $104 / gall range for acrylic urethane...
$256 / gall for premium urethane basecoat...

just found the web site yesterday by accident..... :)

UPDATE - can't work out from the web site if this is actual PPG paint, or an equivalent....
gil in Tucson

Last edited:
Not sure if you did, but don't tell them it's for an airplane!! You'll end up paying $665 a gallon!!!

PPG acrylic enamel and very happy

Cameron,
I'm using PPG's Delta line of paint. It's a polyurathane and it cost me about $140 for a gallon of Vans Powder Coat gray and 1 quart of hardener. This price is only slightly more than what Concept would have cost.
You also need to buy a pint of either accellerator or extender. However, you only use 6 oz of this last pint. I use the extender, as it's always over 80 degrees when I paint. I plan to use the rest of the extender when I paint the exterior of the plane.
I really like using Delta. It does not run or sag easily. It "covers" extremely well. It also continues to level out for months after application. This leveling occurs rapidly for the first week. After that, it levels very slowly for 4 to 6 months.
Charlie Kuss

rv468 said:
I am interested in knowing what people have paid for PPG polyurethane paint. I called one PPG paint store in Albuquerque and was told that PPG did not sell polyurethane, only acrylic enamel with hardener. I called a second store. They said they sold PPG polyurethane and gave me a quote of over $665 for a gallon of yellow with the activator. This is about 2 ? times what Imron cost. Is this what others have paid?

Thanks in advance,
Cameron Smith
RV4 #68

I used PPG polyurethane but don't remember exacty which one. The price will vary depending on what color you pick. Traditionally, red is the most expensive. I paid around $400/gallon for the red I picked. Unfortunately I also picked a very expensive yellow to go with it. The yellow is a Saturn color and I'm told that since this model of Saturn is built in California, the paint is a special blend. It was over $400/gallon.

Shop around and pick your colors wisely.

Karl

In my experience PPG Concept is an extremely good top coat. I have used single stage and it wears really well over time. I had it on my RV6 for 7 years and 900 hours and it looked great when I sold it.
It is extremely dangerous to use; however, and you need a fresh air respirator or it can make you really sick really fast!
As a result, I am using something different on my RV8, even though I really liked the PPG Concept.
Oh, it is also expensive in comparison to some other products, but probably worth the cost if you can handle the environmental hazards associated with the IC (hardeners) in the paint.

i bet that gallon of color was out of PPG's Viberance Color selector. I painted an RV7 with PPG Vibr Flame Red Pearl, it was $895 for the gallon of BASE color, no clear, no reducer, no hardner, they didnt even give me any mixing sticks or strainers!!!
You should be able to get a color very close to the yellow you want in thier OMNI line (i think its called Shop Line in some markets) cost is about half, and the only problems i have noticed with it, is colorselection. They dont seem to have the REALLY cool colors in OMNI, but i have gotten very close to just about any color a budget customer could want with that system.
Omni is available in BASE CLEAR and Single Stage Urethane.

Cameron,
I purchased PPG's Delta in the Vans gray to do the interior of my 8A. Two years ago, I paid about $165 for a gallon of paint and a quart of hardener. I got the "paint shop" discount through a friend's auto body shop at the local PPG dealer.
FYI, I just purchased more Sterling U-1201 & U-1202 (mil spec epoxy primer and activator) for the first time in 2 years. WOW! The price of that stuff has nearly doubled. The vendor told me that the increased price of oil has affected a lot of chemical prices. I suspect that these prices may soon drop down a bit, providing oil doesn't skyrocket up, after the election.
Charlie Kuss

EAA Discount

chaskuss said:
Cameron,
I purchased PPG's Delta in the Vans gray to do the interior of my 8A. Two years ago, I paid about $165 for a gallon of paint and a quart of hardener. I got the "paint shop" discount through a friend's auto body shop at the local PPG dealer.
FYI, I just purchased more Sterling U-1201 & U-1202 (mil spec epoxy primer and activator) for the first time in 2 years. WOW! The price of that stuff has nearly doubled. The vendor told me that the increased price of oil has affected a lot of chemical prices. I suspect that these prices may soon drop down a bit, providing oil doesn't skyrocket up, after the election.
Charlie Kuss

Charlie, and others...

If you are buying Sterling products from DETCO, try asking for an EAA discount. They used to give 40% off list....

gil in Tucson

PPG has raised their prices 3 times in the last twelve months. Dupont, 4 times. As a person who buys a lot of paint, all I can say is "My wallet hurts!!" :D

Back