What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Denver

meanstreakii

I'm New Here
Hey guys - looking to go to Denver (never flew into there before) - I see lots of options for airports to land. Can anyone make a recommendation for the best place to land (i.e. least cost, most RV friendly)

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Services or not...

Centennial, just south of town is good if you want to have services... TAC Air is a great FBO very friendly to small GA with a self serve pump along with every FULL service you can imagine (full service fuel at self service price on the weekends).

For no service I have used Aurora just to the north of town.

Longmont (KLMO), Platte Valley (18V) and Front Range (KFTG) all have some of the best gas prices around. Lots of RV owners/builders at KLMO and KFTG. FBO at KLMO could take care of you should some need arise. Platte Valley is pretty sleepy. KFTG is closest to downtown of the three.

Having said that, I'm based at KEIK and moving to KBJC in a month.:)

I guess you're right...lots of airports.

Denver places to land

I agree with APA. it is where I fly out of primarily and where I learned to fly. The only caveat is that it is a very, very busy airport with a lot of business jet and helicopter traffic. Not a huge issue but just the heads up.

If you are looking a little further south, Colorado Springs opens up the possibility of KFLY or Meadow Lake. It is a very nice airport with self serve. There are a ton of RV's there. I have a hangar there where I am building an RV-12.

Carl

Hey RA. When are you going? If timing works and you want company, maybe I can be wingman? I'd love to drop in on the gentleman who built my RV-6 and he's just Northeast of Denver at Sterling.

KBJC

I really like Stevens at KBJC. They give me great prices for the CJ I fly in there. I will be taking my RV-10 there when I can.

I really like Stevens at KBJC. They give me great prices for the CJ I fly in there. I will be taking my RV-10 there when I can.

I've never really dealt much with either Stevens or Denver Air in the past, other than to call a fuel truck over, but I'm pretty sure Ross Aviation (Denver Air Center parent) took over Stevens a couple months ago. I'm not sure Stevens is there anymore.

Centennial APA - shoot striaght in for RWY 28

Centennial is just south of town and relatively close to the light rail which will get you downtown if not renting a car. Unlike BJC or FTG, I think it's easier to approach from the east/southeast and just land straight in on Rwy 28 (wind conditions permitting - which is usually the case). This way you avoid the Denver ClassB core areas and Buckley.

Just my $.02

Front Range or Rocky Mountain Metro

Front Range has a slew of builders there and many a hangar party on the weekends. Rocky Mtn Metro (KBJC) is a good place to stop for a bite, as their restaurant on the runway has good eats and views. Centennial is convenient but busy and IMHO kind of expensive. You can probably get transportation at any of the airports, so getting into town shouldn't be hard. Landing at Boulder would be nice too and Boulder is fairly close by. Even if you don't want to flight-see over the mountains, you can get some great pics flying along the front range near boulder, where you'll see the Flatirons and avoid DIA's class B with ease. Have fun, and thanks for supporting our local GA.

Back