What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Average Age of RV Builders

Gregg Brightwell

Well Known Member
An unimportant, meaningless question, :rolleyes: but how old were you when you started building? I wonder what the median age is, and how many out there are in their 20's.

I know from experience, that starting at 26, and 'paying as you go' to avoid taking a loan, is tough.

Gregg

Started at 25. A little older now. :) Yes, we joke about Van sending us Bauxite in those early kits, but truth be told, they were REALLY way advanced for their time, and it is the reason so many got completed and Van's has such an avid following today. Many dreams were realized, and many memories were built in such reliable and fun airplanes.

Vic

...Sorry Kent

I didn't know this had been asked before.

Now, at 29, I am hoping to order the fuse this summer. Married, with a 6 year old step-daughter, and my first child coming in a couple weeks, and my wife still lets me buy airplane parts. Good Woman. :)

Gregg

Started at 32 currently 35.

Pay as you go.. Airplanes aren't worth the debt. It'll ruin your life and all the enjoyment of the airplane too... It's just not worth it.

Started at 44, flying at 50.

I paid as I went also, great feeling on first flight knowing it all yours and not owing the bank anything.

Started at 36, now 39. Pay as I go - I refuse to borrow money for what is essentially a toy. I figure if I want it badly enough, I'll find a way to pay for it. If I can't pay for it, that means I didn't want it badly enough.

Age at start

First offense RV-6 started at age 63; Second offense RV-7A started at 75; Both still flying. Now at age 80 I am looking at RV-12. Just wish I had started much earlier so I could have had many more good hours RVing. :D:D Also I would not detract so much from those starting younger.
Advantage, if any, is that being fully retired and no debt, I was able to pay as I went. Feels good.
gclark

Last edited:
Started at 25. That was a little over a year ago (now I'm 26). Have pretty much all the parts now except avionics. Was saving up for a few years but for the most part its pay as I go.

Planning to start @ age 44

...later this summer for me. Have approx 25% of the cash saved specifically for RV building, and I plan to stowe away the rest over the course of an approx 5 year build. I was (am) waiting to start so that I wouldn't need a loan to cover the build. Keep in mind, once completed, the insurance, hangar, maintenance and flying costs are going to be a chunk of change each month too....not to mention life's little suprises! Why pile on a loan too??

Started at 29 flew at 39. Three job changes, night school for two years to finish my BS degree and three kids in between those years...whew!!!

My vote is for the keep it simple, keep it based around Van's standards for engines, props, FWF, etc., find a deal too good to pass up on an engine, be frugal in your panel/avionics plan (no reason to spend an extra 30 grand on a bird that is going to be flown VMC 99% of the time), make as much stuff as you can (like Nav lights), use components that are not necessarily marketed for use in an airplane but are the same stuff or just as good (like strobe power supplies), purchase as much stuff second hand as you can from people that are bailing out.

Last edited:
started at 25, should be flying before 31st birthday ;-) looks like quite a bit before that (october)
pay as we go.

rgds, bernie

Started at 32, finished empennage and waiting for wing kit to arrive at 33, hoping to be done by 40! Paying as I go.

Let's see ... started at ... umm ... ("55 minus 13 equals ... 42 ... I think ...")

Forty-two. :D

Finished at 55. And, my, how things have changed ...

Started at 35. I hope to be done by 40-43. I will also pay as I go as I refuse to borrow for a toy.

Last edited:
started at 42, will finish and fly at 43. Ok maybe 44. Sold another plane and a boat and everything I didn't need around the house on ebay to pay for it.

Most of us are 50+?

I started at age 50, first flight age 52. Probably pretty typical - its a bucket-list kinda thing. Paid as I went, liquidated some mutual funds right at the peak to buy an engine ( just luck!)

Not through building yet, but loving flying again

age?

license at 22, stopped flying for 'stuff'. Sold a chunk of dirt behind parents house, $$$ for an RV-9a & recurrent training etc. at age 45. I am the 'kid' at most flying clubs I'm at.
shoulda done it 10 years ago...or better still, not stopped, for the wrong reasons.( at 22 my Dad had a plane I could fly anytime, 2 miles from my house!)

pay as you go

1965 July 15th, started building at 49, flew the RV6 at 52. 18 month build. Sold a Cheorkee Six 300 to buy the engine prop and finish kit. I kept flying during the build, when the Cheorkee Six went, I had the use of a Cessna 172.

Life started over for me after flying the RV. Building is a solo endevor, Flying has become a social thing. Many new friends over the years. All good. 63 now. 2200+ RV hours

Last edited:
26 here, pay as I go

Dave Ramsey says all toys should be paid for in cash, and cash flowed with any surplus income, i'm selling off toys in my garage (motorcycles, guns, etc) to purchase the major parts, the engine, i'll figure out down the road

might have to bag me a cougar and get her to pay for my lycoming

48. Now 52 and just started the fuselage. With the mortgage now practically out of the way, I should be able pick pick up steam. :)

Back