Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-04-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Dynon SkyView - period. The performance is as advertised and the after the sale service sets the bar for the industry. I have a lot of hard IFR hours with this system and find it superb for situational awareness.

I have just purchased another overpriced $9000 Garmin GTN-650 to go with the dual SkyView install on the new project - only because the alternative GPS navigator sufferers from all the things wrong with the TSO side of Garmin.

Carl
Agreed. I'm running dual 10" Skyview Classic and a Garmin 430W for the IFR work, and it's outstanding. Dynon's innovation and market support make them the top of the pile in the experimental avionics world, in my opinion.

I do admit to having a love-hate relationship with Garmin over their "revenue first" business style, but I chose the 430W for my IFR receiver because it was the best fit (for me) of function, size, and value.
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPalese View Post
Your intended use is the first question you must answer.

If VFR only then the decision about the equipment is not critical.

IF IFR, then IMHO, any system that must have pitot-static input for the AHARS to function properly is unsatisfactory.

Murphy rules and while possible to fly across the great lakes in a single engine airplane, one must ask if the idea is sound?

Good Luck
John
I note with interest the G3X Operating Manual calling out both Pitot and GPS feeds needed for operation of the AHRS.

With such integrated systems one would hope for these layered crosschecks and backup modes - like both SkyView and G3X do.

Carl
Old 09-04-2018, 01:43 PM

One comment I will make about GRT. Their EFIS systems will work with virtually any make of avionics. So you can have your choice of autopilot, nav systems, ADS B, intercoms, etc. Some of the other brands available do not do that.
IO-360
Dual GRT HX & Mini
Dual Adaptive AHARS
GNS 480 Navigator
Dues paid 2018
Old 09-04-2018, 01:57 PM

Default My $.02

When Garmin first come on the scene, they were the greatest thing since sliced bread. Unfortunately they have moved on the the rich crowd and abandoned us "low income folks". For example, they came out with the GNC 250 GPS/Com and it was a perfect fit for around $2500. The nearest thing they have to replace that now is north of $10,000.

My personal favorite is GRT. They just need to work on their documentation.
Their assistance is great but, more often than not, you must call them to get it.

Dynon makes some very good products and fairly reasonable, but they have a few negatives too.

Botton line; Do your research and make sure you're getting what you think you are.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award
Old 09-04-2018, 02:28 PM

Default AFS/DYNON was my choice

when I did my research last year. The AFS screens do not require a lot of "menu searching and scrolling" to find what you need. AFS has many dedicated buttons, labeled and easy to find. As a plus, AFS is compatible with "other" autopilots and accessories. And, as another important feature, AFS integrates all of the Dynon equipment. Documentation for the install and operation is complete and easy to understand.

Support from the folks at AFS is outstanding!

Ron
IO360, 180HP/CS, AFS 5600T, D10A, G650, G430, G327, ADS-B, VIZ385 AP
Very Happy Contributor
Comm, SMEL, CFII, A&P
Based at KCLW (Clearwater, FL)
Old 09-04-2018, 02:54 PM

Default AHRS Operation Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I note with interest the G3X Operating Manual calling out both Pitot and GPS feeds needed for operation of the AHRS.

While we believe that each person is entitled to their opinion for which avionics best suit their flying style, preferences, or budgets, I do want to make sure statements are factually accurate. The below AHRS operation information comes from the G3X Pilot’s Guide which you can download from the Garmin website: https://support.garmin.com/support/m...o=010-00G3X-00

The Garmin AHRS in the G3X uses aiding from many sources to improve performance. This attitude solution is used in our certified platforms as well. Per the below chart, you must lose GPS and Air Data to lose your attitude solution.

If anyone has questions on G3X system operation or features, we are always happy to help. The fastest way to get a response is usually via email at the address below.

Thanks,
Levi
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 09-05-2018 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-04-2018, 03:04 PM

Something else for the OP: In asking what system (singular) is best, you sort of implied you want a fully integrated system. e.g., you enter the altimeter setting once, and all the other boxes get it. When everything works, these systems are very nice. But they also talk to each other. I still recall when a software bug slipped thru brand X, and entering a destination that did not start with a K caused a crash - which then propagated to all the other boxes, bringing the entire system down. While the software is pretty well tested these days, I personally chose to make one backup non-integrated. It is a different manufacturer, is not connected to any busses or other boxes, even has its own battery. Yes, I have to do the cross-checking, since the software cannot. So there are pluses and minuses. But do give it some thought.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Something else for the OP: In asking what system (singular) is best, you sort of implied you want a fully integrated system. e.g., you enter the altimeter setting once, and all the other boxes get it. When everything works, these systems are very nice. But they also talk to each other. I still recall when a software bug slipped thru brand X, and entering a destination that did not start with a K caused a crash - which then propagated to all the other boxes, bringing the entire system down. While the software is pretty well tested these days, I personally chose to make one backup non-integrated. It is a different manufacturer, is not connected to any busses or other boxes, even has its own battery. Yes, I have to do the cross-checking, since the software cannot. So there are pluses and minuses. But do give it some thought.
That’s why Garmin intentionally built the G5 to run on different hardware and a totally different software platform and they isolate critical code to prevent such a situation.
RV-10, #41942, N?????, Working on Emp/Tail Cone
---------------------------------------------------------------------
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 09-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
While we believe that each person is entitled to their opinion for which avionics best suit their flying style, preferences, or budgets, I do want to make sure statements are factually accurate. The below AHRS operation information comes from the G3X Pilot’s Guide which you can download from the Garmin website: https://support.garmin.com/support/m...o=010-00G3X-00

The Garmin AHRS in the G3X uses aiding from many sources to improve performance. This attitude solution is used in our certified platforms as well. Per the below chart, you must lose GPS, Magnetometer, and Air Data to lose your attitude solution.

If anyone has questions on G3X system operation or features, we are always happy to help. The fastest way to get a response is usually via email at the address below.

Thanks,
Levi
Levi, thank you for this information. But I am confused. Are green arrows ‘working’, red arrows ‘not working’? So if gps fails, I follow the red arrow down?
Magnetometer working, so I follow the green arrow? Air data not working, I follow the red arrow to ‘no attitude solution’? Isn’t this exactly what the poster complained about?
Old 09-04-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
That’s why Garmin intentionally built the G5 to run on different hardware and a totally different software platform and they isolate critical code to prevent such a situation.
If I were building today I would consider the G5 an acceptable backup - but I still would not use any system interconnects. I would keep it as isolated as possible. Of course nothing is fool-proof. Never say ‘never’.