VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Default Whirl Wind 74HRT Prop Report

I recently sent my Whirl Wind 200RV propeller on my RV-8 in for a hub IRAN and to change the blades to the newest scimitar-style 74HRT blades. Last week, I finally got the prop back with the new 74HRT blades. WW quoted 8-10 weeks turn-around, but it was actually 12 weeks and required numerous calls/e-mails to WW to get it done.

That being said, the new prop is, indeed, very sexy! The 74" blades are also very large compared to the 72" 200RV blades. I estimate ~2X the blade area. WW advises people with aftermarket cowlings and large spinners to be very careful with the installation to confirm clearances, but this was not an issue for my RV with the stock Van's snorkel cowl. The prop weighs about 1# more than the 200RV. Dynamic balancing went very well (0.01 IPS!) and the hub is not leaking any grease. (It never did, but that sometimes happens on the WW hubs.)

I have now flown it a few times, both in cruise (10800' DA, full throttle, 2400 RPM) and in formation. Do not seem to have lost anything at all in cruise, which surprised me! It definitely accelerates faster on TO and formation response subjectively seems better to me.

And when I am prop-full-forward in the pattern and pull the power, it really works now to help slow down, unlike the skinny 200RV, which did very little. Subjectively again, in this situation it feels more like a fat 3-blader.

All in all, I am not so pleased with WW service, but quite pleased with the new prop so far.
Andy
Old 08-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Default Thanks

Great report....
Glad you got yours in only 12 weeks!
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 08-30-2018, 07:38 PM

Whirlwind timing....... I ordered my 200RV prop on June 8 and was told 8 weeks. Itís now been 12 weeks, and Iím still at least 2 weeks from getting my prop. Whatever Whirlwind tells you - double it. I like their props - Iíve had two of them on my last two builds, but theyíre incredibly inaccurate at determining how long it takes to make one. If youíre not flying yet - no problem, plan for it. Iím flying and fortunately Iíve been able to borrow a Hartzell BA prop from a friend. I have 60+ hours on my RV8 with the borrowed prop, so Iím lucky, sort of. ....Donít ask how I got into this position of needing a new prop early on - itís a very $pensive occurance. But be forewarned - Whirlwind is painfully slow at delivering their product.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:16 AM

I had heard something from Whirlwind about a year ago, I believe, that they were working on a swap-out program for people sending in props for rebuild, so they wouldn't be AOG for 8+ weeks waiting on prop work. Did that ever get cranked up?
Built an off-plan 9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:37 AM

I guess not, since that was just what I did - Sent in the 200RV and got back the same hub with 74HRT blades. The time-consumer seems to be just blade production and finishing. I advised them that the prop was coming in a month before I sent it, and offered to send a deposit, in an attempt to reduce the lag. Didn't help much. Of course, July & August in Arizona are not great flying weather, so being plane-less is not such a loss!

However, I do understand that sometimes a very small company simply cannot be responsive to all customers. That being said, I've recommended to Jeremy at WW that they be much more communicative, updating customers regularly about real expected shipping dates. That will greatly reduce buyer frustration.
Andy

Last edited by N729LS : 09-04-2018 at 11:57 PM. Reason: update
Old 09-10-2018, 11:51 AM

Do you need to be 200+ hp to run this prop? Is 180 enough or should I look at the standard 200RV?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:40 PM

I think the official word is 205HP...or more.
And that would be to get the benefits of the blades.
The 180 will spin it for sure, but right now the RV200 would seem to be a better fit.
Word has it that WW is working on a smaller HRT blade to fit the 180hp RV's.....but their plate is pretty full right now, so not sure when it will see prime time.
To be sure of any of this......call them and ask.
D100-KMD150-660-TT ADI2- AS air/oil seperator. Vetterman exhaust with turndown tips.
Louisa, Virginia KLKU N94TB
Old 09-12-2018, 08:42 PM

I have my money down for the new prop, if it passes the rest of the testing that is ongoing. If not I'll get a rv 200. The new prop by the way is the 190

Jackz