Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > Safety
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2018, 12:25 AM

I've been a professional pilot for 32 years. My two children have recently left the nest.

My first airplane was a Mooney that I owned for 7 years. The whole family flew in it a grand total of ONE time. The wife supports my hobby, but has no interest in flying in small airplanes. If she can't be served a beer or go to the bathroom, the airplane is too small for her.

My son always went with me to Oshkosh, but as a teenager, never felt compelled to get up on a Saturday morning to go with me. Just doesn't have the passion.

I now own an RV-6 that my father built. I mostly fly by myself, but have taken others when requested. Even though I fly professionally and consider myself proficient, I don't sleep as well when I have committed to fly someone else.

If I'm being honest, I prefer to fly by myself and would be happy with an RV-3.
(KAPA)Centennial, CO
Old 08-30-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post

And BTW, flying is NOT safet than driving. Flying *commercial* is, by far, but GA is not. IIRC, it falls somewhere between driving and motorcycle riding.
I expect those stats include running out of fuel and flight into known weather. I tell people if you don't run out of fuel or choose to fly into iffy weather, you are safer up there than on the highway. Am I wrong?
Old 08-30-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Joe's right - there is risk. But you can mitigate the major risks with just a bit of effort. Big three are fuel, weather, and loss of control (stall/spin/crash/burn/die). Avoiding these big three will greatly increase your chances of a good outcome.
Should have waited till I got farther into the thread. Yeah, what he said.
Old 08-30-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimagu View Post

I now own an RV-6 that my father built. I mostly fly by myself, but have taken others when requested. Even though I fly professionally and consider myself proficient, I don't sleep as well when I have committed to fly someone else.

If I'm being honest, I prefer to fly by myself and would be happy with an RV-3.
I would have a hard time letting go of a plane my father built. I really think that's your son's or grandchild's plane. Enjoy it.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
I would have a hard time letting go of a plane my father built. I really think that's your son's or grandchild's plane. Enjoy it.
Don't misunderstand...

I will never get rid of the RV-6. Sweet airplane. Just saying that If it was a single seat airplane, I'd be just as happy with it...
(KAPA)Centennial, CO
Old 08-30-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H View Post
Should have waited till I got farther into the thread. Yeah, what he said.
I usually find that non-pilots have fears that fall into two or three general categories:
Hitting another airplane while in flight
Engine failure causing the plane to fall out of the sky
Take-off or landing accident

The first is usually eliminated once they see the big, open sky, hear ATC call traffic, and now I can point out my EFIS with ADS-B showing traffic

Second is pretty common: "what happens if the engine quits?" and I can explain how this almost *never* happens, but even so, here are the things I do to keep that from happening (fuel management, maintenance) AND that should that occur, it doesn't cause the plane to fall from the sky.

Third is usually dealt with by talking them through everything that will happen and what they'll see and hear while I take off or land.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8ch View Post
Big three are fuel, weather, and loss of control (stall/spin/crash/burn/die). Avoiding these big three will greatly increase your chances of a good outcome.
And if I recall correctly, eliminating those three alone is enough to make it safer than driving.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:46 PM

Default Family Ride

Yes when I first bought a Piper Dakota 20 years ago it was for the purpose of family vacations. And we did it all the time until kids went off to college. I think it is safer than climbing into a car and going on the roads.

Now I fly the Piper Dakota mostly by myself for lunch and rendezvous with other pilot buddies. Sometimes the wife goes. That's special.

But, my RV-7A is almost done. Then I'll sell the Dakota.

Have Fun

PS, I may end up buying a Bonanza in a few years to take grandchildren on vacation. We'll see. Maybe a Cherokee 6.
Ready for first start
Anacortes, WA
www.mykitlog.com/sglynn
Old 09-01-2018, 06:39 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback.

It really comes down to 3 things as I see it;

1. Being honest about my proficiency (addressing the safety aspect)
2. The actual likelihood that I would routinely take the whole family on flights (addresses the mission reqs for type aircraft)
3. Fiances

Appreciate all the perspectives
Old 09-01-2018, 09:10 PM

Default Worrying

Spend enough time worrying and youíll soon find itís too late to do anything and die regretting you didnít live the life you hoped for.
Do you really want to be like the majority of the population watching life on tv?
With rewards comes risks.