- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Default Rudder cable routing

If I remember correctly, there are two routing locations for the rudder cables. One is for the A model and the other is for the taildragger. It might be possible that the wrong routing location was used.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikePike View Post
The rudder cables should pass through the spar on top of the aileron pushrods. Check the plans carefully for this area. IMO interference here is unacceptable and should be corrected.
Agree there are two holes only one of them will give you an interference free route when the rudder cables are under tension. I would ensure that this is interference free before the next flight.

Oliver
http://www.spatscheck.com/oliver
Old 05-05-2018, 10:47 PM

Does anyone happen to have a pic of the plans for the routing location. I let the seller keep the plans for a few months while he is working on another airplane and I don't have them.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polkaking27 View Post
Does anyone happen to have a pic of the plans for the routing location. I let the seller keep the plans for a few months while he is working on another airplane and I don't have them.

Thanks
You can purchase the plans and construction manual on a USB drive for $10. See this link:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...oduct=fd_plans

Here are some pics from DWG 64, "Center Section". "Note 1" applies to both drawings.

Hope this helps.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

GlasflŁgel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-05-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:11 PM

Youre the man Carl, Thanks
Old 05-05-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Youre the man Carl, Thanks
You're quite welcome.

See the thread below where others have misrouted the rudder cables. In the first post, the rudder cables are routed through the lower holes, which is incorrect. You can see in the picture the small pilot holes where the rudder cable for the -8 or -8A should have gone, after enlarging the correct one (depending on the model) and installing a snap bushing. Looks like Post#6 got it right.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...26#post1039526
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

GlasflŁgel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 05-05-2018 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
The airplane only has 180 hours on it and I imagine the cables are still pretty tight. Maybe as the years go by those loosen up a bit. l]
I think you donít understand that an RV does not have a continuous loop cable circuit, as most certified planes do. On the ground the cables will be slightly slack, unless you press on both at the same time. Thatís why you only feel the interference when on the brakes.
This needs to be fixed.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Start simple. Put an ohmmeter on the ignition switch (engine and power off) and confirm that on L the right mag is grounded, and vice versa on R.
I don't think a regular ohm meter will give you reliable info on that.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
You're quite welcome.

See the thread below where others have misrouted the rudder cables. In the first post, the rudder cables are routed through the lower holes, which is incorrect. You can see in the picture the small pilot holes where the rudder cable for the -8 or -8A should have gone, after enlarging the correct one (depending on the model) and installing a snap bushing. Looks like Post#6 got it right.

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...26#post1039526
I bet that is EXACTLY how mine is routed. Hopefully I can just drill the correct holes and reroute the cable through those and itís not a huge deal. Iíll have to grab one of my rv builder friends to help calm my nerves while drilling the first hole in my new bird. Iíll be headed to the airport today to check it out. Thanks again for the info, that is super helpful!
Old 05-06-2018, 11:40 AM

You guys nailed it... the cable is running through that lower pre drilled hole. I can see how it would be super easy to overlook that. I mean who wants to drill a hole in the spar, especially when there are nice correctly sized holes already there. (Side note- what are those lowerholes for?)

So if Iím reading the plans that Carl posts correctly it looks like I will drill the hole with the arrow for an -8. Is that correct. (The more upper/outboard hole). I canít see the note on the screenshot, does it specify what size to enlarge to? I think Iíll call Vanís tomorrow and get me a set of plans, and some grommets and ask about this. Thanks so much, you guys are awesome!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/H53hS95uR29OE36x1