Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-28-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm757 View Post
RV-7 has been flying since November, about 100 hours on it now. Initially my plan was to vinyl wrap the whole thing. However, I ran into issues on the really tight curves around the cowling inlets and the tips of the horizontal stab, elevators, vertical stab, and rudder. After fully covering those, I was not happy with the results and peeled it off. Sent the cowlings, wing tips, wheel pants, vertical stab, rudder, horizontal stab, and elevators off to a real paint shop and had them professionally painted.

The rest of the aircraft including, the wings, flaps, ailerons, fuselage, and all fairings are fully wrapped in 3M 1080 Gloss White. The 3M white is extremely bright. Did not realize how bright it was until the paint shop tried to match it to matterhorn and other common whites. The wings are wrapped in two pieces each, with a seam about 6 inches behind the leading edge on the bottom. The fuselage is mainly 3 pieces, one left, one right, and one on the belly, with seams on the belly and one directly on the top which is only a couple feet long from the canopy slider track to the empennage fairing.

The stripes and checkers were applied using knifeless tape to mask out the design, then applying 3M 1080 Gloss Sterling Silver, and 3M 1080 Gloss Dark Red. I highly recommend the knifeless tape, this stuff is great. The 3M 1080 vinyl is also great, super forgiving to mistakes and very easy to work with.

The entire vinyl wrap looks good, but isn't perfect (done by a first time vinyl wrapper). The one thing that bugs me is the cowl paint and the vinyl white are a shade off, like i said before, the 3M white is EXTREMELY BRIGHT white. No issues with peeling so far, I flew through some heavy rain and it did chew up a little bit of the vinyl around the windshield, which has since been fixed. Vinyl was applied directly to the bare aluminum skin. I have absolutely no worries whatsoever about the vinyl coming off in flight or corrosion developing underneath. It would be impossible for any air or moisture to get underneath.

Overall, I'm happy with the final result, spent around $1500 on vinyl and it is supposedly lighter than paint, although I have no numbers to prove that. However, if I were to do it again, I would just paint the entire aircraft white and then use knifeless tape to create the vinyl stripes.

Man, that is one pretty airplane...clean, simple, and elegant!! Thatís exactly what Iím waiting to accomplish with mine. Like I said in an earlier post, my plan is to paint the entire thing white and do my graphics/stripes with the vinyl....just like you said that youíd do if you were to do it again. I hope you donít mind, but I might steal your design!!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
... I watched a 3 wire knifeless tape video today about butt joints with a pinstripe covering. It looks perfect for my application. Last up, I really wanted Pearl White instead of Aviation white, but I found a source for that as well ...
I'm curious which video you found helpful, and also where you found the pearl white you're referring to. I have an off-white color (light almond color as the paint shop nick-named it) that I need for a base color, not sure I will find anything close in stock vinyl colors, so I had been considering having something custom printed (which would be pretty pricey I think). If I can find something close enough I may compromise a little though.

Opinions, information and comments posted by me are my own unless stated otherwise. They do not represent direction/opinions of my employer.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Flying spam can, helped build/fly a few RV-12s and some other RVs
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 04-28-2018, 11:37 PM

nice looking RV!
RV-4 - Sold.
Old 04-29-2018, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
I'm curious which video you found helpful, and also where you found the pearl white you're referring to. I have an off-white color (light almond color as the paint shop nick-named it) that I need for a base color, not sure I will find anything close in stock vinyl colors, so I had been considering having something custom printed (which would be pretty pricey I think). If I can find something close enough I may compromise a little though.
Here is the Pearl White:
https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-10...in1080sp10.htm

I didn't bother to see if it was the best source yet, but it is a standard 3M 1080 product.

for the video go here:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/graphics...ifeless-tapes/
and scroll down to the "3M Knifeless Tape Instructional Videos", and watch the "3M Knifeless Tape - Butt joints" video.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 04-30-2018, 12:18 PM

Metro is good I used them too. Prices are great customer service is lacking. They even forgot some items (small items) but didnít care at all. I donít jniw that any vinyl supplier is actually better though and they ship super fast and free over $99.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:21 PM

For knifeless tape the 3m breaks more often but cuts (curves) cleaner than the wrap cut brand. The wrap cut brand is a actual wire though and it very strong. Yet harder in tight curves. Which one to use depends on how thick your vinyl is, I used Avery diamond vinyl and the 3m finish line had a tough time with it and the 3 m design line was useless, broke constantly.

While I'm not a builder if I happen to give advice , I will not be responsible for damage to equipment, your ego, parts, world wide power outages, spontaneously generated black holes, planetary disruptions, or personal injury that may result from the use of this advice.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:08 PM

Default PPG DC concept base paint and vinyl stripes

Not a fancy scheme but 10 years and 460 hours and still looks as good as new. Photo taken last week, aircraft is hangared.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sMb...ew?usp=sharing

Figs
Old 04-30-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
Not a fancy scheme but 10 years and 460 hours and still looks as good as new. Photo taken last week, aircraft is hangared.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sMb...ew?usp=sharing

Figs
She looks great!! Is that an entire wrap or just vinyl graphics?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:14 PM

Default Just the graphics

The white is PPG Concept 2 stage auto paint (just base no clearcoat), all the graphics are vinyl graphics from Aerographics who were great to work with.
Figs
Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 PM

I painted both my planes yellow and white and had a sign shop do the black and blue colors. If you ever painted checks you know how much easier it is to have the sign shop do the rudder in vinyl.

The 9 good for 11 years so far with new owner. The 12 working on 3rd year. I make sure the stripes are wide enough to cover up the lines separating the white and yellow with a little bock sanding along line to cut down on the ridge. Even so it does clearly show through the vinyl. The new vinyl is much better without bubble problems.

RV-12 #120515, N319RV 1st flight 12/2015 now over 270 hours.
RV-9A, 536 hours sold, RV-7 sold, Kitfox sold