What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

adding a joint to com coax?

SgtZim

Well Known Member
I'm finishing up the installation of radios and boxes, thinking forward to final assembly and it would make it faster and easier if I "break" the coax at the wing / fuselage joint. I'm using Archer wingtip antennae for Com 2 and Nav 2. The simplest way would seem to be add male and female coax terminals at each joint.

Would this noticeably degrade reception of Com or Nav?

Not if done correctly, meaning no strands from the shield splayed out from under the crimp.

Vic

I'm finishing up the installation of radios and boxes, thinking forward to final assembly and it would make it faster and easier if I "break" the coax at the wing / fuselage joint. I'm using Archer wingtip antennae for Com 2 and Nav 2. The simplest way would seem to be add male and female coax terminals at each joint.

Would this noticeably degrade reception of Com or Nav?
Breaking the coax will introduce losses (avoid doing so if you can). In addition, at the wing root a connector will permit an opening to moisture in the path.

Breaking the coax will introduce losses (avoid doing so if you can). In addition, at the wing root a connector will permit an opening to moisture in the path.

Yes, but there are ways to address this. Use some Dow 4 on the connectors and then wrap it with the silicone rescue tape. Should keep the moisture out.

Vic

Bulkhead connectors are common in commercial installations. I would have to agree with Vic. A connection with some attention to keeping it dry should work very well. Remember, it is very rare to see a BNC connector at the base of an antenna sealed up at all. Even in humid environments, they work for years.
Lack of good grounding at the base of the antenna is a much more common error. Use good quality connectors and you should be good to go. As far as a com antenna, I see consistent good range with 1/4 wave whips on the belly.

Note to OP: above comments are for nav/com frequencies (100 MHz), as you asked. But when you get to transponder/GPS/DME in the GHz range, everything - coax and connectors - is more lossy, and then you?ll need to exercise some care.

Back