What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Patch 2 radios

omrsramsay

What is the easiest way to patch 2 Becker transceivers together so I can monitor one while transmitting and receiving on the other? I'm thinking in terms of a selector switch to toggle between them. Thanks.

The way I have done this is to have a switch that swaps the intercom mic output between radios, then you listen to one or both by adjusting their volumes. The main benefit of an audio panel is that it mutes one input while you transmit on the other so you don't get feedback.

Mine is similar Jesse. 2 radios and a switch for mic/tx. All audio outputs available at all times depending on volume control setting.

The audio outputs should have at minimum a couple of resistors to keep from damaging the joined output amps. That is best shown with a schematic rather than words. Therefore the the recommendation for the book.

Last edited:
PMA4000

What is the easiest way to patch 2 Becker transceivers together so I can monitor one while transmitting and receiving on the other? I'm thinking in terms of a selector switch to toggle between them. Thanks.

Why not consider getting a little more out of your switches. The PMA4000 was designed specifically for Vans Aircraft. In fact, when it was being developed, the code name for it was Scappose, its the airport where Mr. VanGrunsven flew out of.

Why not consider getting a little more out of your switches. The PMA4000 was designed specifically for Vans Aircraft. In fact, when it was being developed, the code name for it was Scappose, its the airport where Mr. VanGrunsven flew out of.

Well, not to knock the quality of your product, but are you suggesting that if all we need is to switch between two comms, it's getting more value from our money to pay 2 orders of magnitude more money (that's 100 times more, for the math challenged) for the same function?

Shameless self promotion?

I have 2 separate PTT buttons on my Infinity style stick. The trigger transmits Comm 1 and the thumb (or "alternate pickle button") is Comm 2. I monitor both radios and always use my trigger to talk to ATC and Comm 2 (thumb) to talk to others. You never have to change from Comm1/2 on an intercom -- transmits correct radio based on which button you push. Personally, I love it!

Shameless - Charlie

Well, not to knock the quality of your product, but are you suggesting that if all we need is to switch between two comms, it's getting more value from our money to pay 2 orders of magnitude more money (that's 100 times more, for the math challenged) for the same function?

Shameless self promotion?

I think not Charlie:

Obviously you do not know that I am a sponsor of Van Airforce.

For those who are not mathematically challenged, that would be 67dB more in audio level, by the way.

I've paid an annual fee to Van's Airforce that allows me to promote our products twice a year.

It is sponsors and the user's donations that helps keep Doug's forum up and running.

I chose this thread because it I believed it was appropriate, it was a discussion of audio switching means.

If you go to either Sun 'N Fun or Oshkosh this year, please stop at our booth. I'd like for us to meet so you might get a clear picture of my integrity.

Sincerely,
Mark

Well, I can read your signature line...

No challenge to your right to promote your business; just a question about whether it serves the end user best to recommend a $850 product to replace $8.50 worth of switch(es).

This isn't a question about whether your product is worth that money for what it does (I assume it does more than switch transmit function between radios), but about whether it's valid to promote the $850 product as having more value to the customer, if $8.50 & a little work with wire, crimps and solder will get the job done.

Charlie

I don't want to drift too far off RV topics, but that said:
I have personally used PS products in the past, and also interacted directly with Mark. His products work very well, and there is no deception in Mark. You cannot say that for all people and products you see here. It's the function of advertising to bring products to buyer's attention. The PS panel certainly does more than a switch, and some owners consider anything less than $1K to be 'low cost'. It's up to the owner to make an informed decision.
I noticed that on the same day this post appeared a different manufacturer, in a different post, made a pitch to sell his stuff (at more cost than the OP had said he was prepared for). I didn't see any complaints. DR allows advertising as a way to pay the bills. If you read posts on this site that's one of the conditions.

Back