What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wiring help needed - RV-112-ULS

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Wiring help needed - RV-12-ULS

Building the older RV-12 kit. As ELSA, I can't change anything from the plans while building. So, after certification as ELSA, I may add a second landing light. I am planning the install at this stage and have a good electrical schematic but I am stumped as to how exactly to wire in the second landing light. I want to wire them in so that I have the option of alternately flash both lights when in the pattern and the steady burning mode when desired.

Anyone who has done the wiring for this setup advise me as to exactly how to wire my 12 after certification as ELSA? Thanks in advance - I appreciate the help.

Last edited:
E.D.

For starters you will want to run the same amount of wiring that is used on the right landing light for the additional left landing light.

In addition to that, you will need to run one additional wire to sync the wig-wag. The additional wire will run from master out to slave in on the lights. Since the right landing light is the "standard" light, I ran the sync wire from the right landing light's master out to the left landing light's slave in. The additional wire converts the pulse mode to a wig-wag mode when the panel switch is rocked to pulse.

Oh, additionally the pulse power wire will need to be tapped (Y) in the fuselage so pulse power that normally goes to the right landing light is also applied to the left landing light. The same goes for the landing light steady on power wire as well.

Below are links showing the wiring at the lights and the blue amp wing connector. At the blue amp connectors I used the vacant pin 3 for the wig-wag sync wire.

http://www.dogaviation.com/2013/02/left-wing-electrical-connector-completed.html

http://www.dogaviation.com/2013/02/crimping-wiring-connectors-progress.html

If you have any additional questions, PM me with your phone number and we can discuss what is needed in more detail.
Happy building,

Last edited:
Thank you, Sir

John, you have given me, and likely many others, exactly what I need. I owe you not a beer or two but a dinner so hope that we meet some day!!

Thank you very much, Ed

Isn't running extra wire a change from the plans? I've never built an ELSA, so I don't know how strict that requirement actually is.

I wouldn't think running spare wires in anticipation of making a wiring change after phase one flight testing is completed would be a problem. That is as long as at the time of ELSA certification the wires are NOT connected ... because technically no wiring "changes or modifications" have actually been made to the aircraft yet and Van's original wiring is fully intact.

Landing Light Options

I think you should read the Notification of 27 March 2017, Wing Tip Light and Landing Light Option. It states "NOTE: A second landing light should not be installed in conjunction with the Rotax 912 ULS engine. Refer to Section 40-02 WARNING."

Back