What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon HDX

pilotyoung

Well Known Member
This week I replaced the Dynon D1000T in my RV-12 with the Dynon HDX. The HDX is electrically the same as the D1000T. But you do have to install two nutplates as the lower mounting bolts are in a different location. Dynon also supplies a panel filler as the HDX is not quite as high at the D1000T.

Before I took the D1000T out, I exported all of the settings to a memory stick. After installing the HDX and imputing my N number, I loaded the settings from the memory stick. Everything was there except for the TAC and Hobbs time which I had to manually enter.

It was an easy and no problem upgrade and I love the HDX controls and screen.

As a precaution, I took pictures of every setup screen on the D1000T before I removed it, but I didn't need any of them. The only data I needed from the old unit was the TAC and Hobbs time.

I highly recommend upgrading to the HDX. I have flown the aircraft 3 times since the upgrade and I love it.

I have flown both systems extensively and there are some differences I?d like to point out.
1. The HDX is a much higher resolution screen and is glossy finish instead of the matte finish on the classic. It is also brighter. The glossy screen is still easy to see in direct sunlight. Both the HDX and Classic screens are exactly the same size.
2. The HDX is not a low profile bezel like the classic. It has a thick bezel for holding onto while you touch the screen. There are more touch screen features on the HDX, and there are some functions that are harder to get to (or you can?t get to) without touching the screen.
3. The menu structure is completely different with the HDX. You set each screen?s primary function, then you can go full screen or split screen, much like the G3X Touch. The 3 functions are PFD, MAP and Engine. If you set PFD as primary, you can use either Map or Engine as the split side. Unlike some systems, you can set the primary function as left or right.
4. One real standout feature is the engine bottom band. This is an optional feature, but I can?t imagine not using it after flying with it. It feels like you have much more screen real estate for PDF and Map with the engine at the bottom, although in actual real estate it probably doesn?t change.
5. That leads me to one of the best features. When the screen is split, the Map page has a little box in the top left corner. If you tap on this box the map goes to a full 50% layout, removing the engine at the bottom and the data band on the side, if that feature is turned on. This gives a much bigger map display for seeing details of weather, traffic, terrain or charts/plates.
6. That leads me to another feature. The engine bottom band is split into 2 halves. The primary half is where you lost data you never want to hide. This defaults to fuel levels, 3 pressures, oil temp, rpm and fuel flow, as well as several data points. The secondary side defaults to CHT, EGT, trims, flaps, volts & amps. The secondary side gets hidden when the map expands. As with the classic, you still get cautions and warnings from engine sensors that are hidden.
7. Back to ergonomics, the most obvious feature is the button/knob Panel at the bottom that angles away from the panel, giving a nice ledge to hang onto as well as a nicer ergonomic angle to push buttons, especially in turbulence. The buttons are backlit, which makes them much easier to find in the dark. The knobs are no longer joysticks, which some will love after fighting with pushing in on the joysticks on the classic screen in turbulence, but they make it a little harder to navigate menus with (you still can navigate, you just do it a little differently). The knobs have a much higher quality feel.

In summary, the HDX is certainly deserving of flagship status in the Dynon product line. The screen layout makes it finally comfortable to be a single screen in a panel, IMHO. I just can?t wait to get one in my C182

You have flown with the HDX much more than I. I now have three local flights with the HDX but I agree with your comments. I really like the engine instruments at the bottom of the screen.

I am flying it on a trip to Triple Tree next weekend so that will be my first cross country with the new HDX.

1. The HDX is a much higher resolution screen and is glossy finish instead of the matte finish on the classic. It is also brighter. The glossy screen is still easy to see in direct sunlight. Both the HDX and Classic screens are exactly the same size.

Thanks for the detailed review.
Not sure if you are saying, in real world use, one screen has superior visibility in sunlight?

. . . . . In summary, the HDX is certainly deserving of flagship status in the Dynon product line. The screen layout makes it finally comfortable to be a single screen in a panel, IMHO. I just can?t wait to get one in my C182
Thanks for the awesome review, Jesse!

You and Philip did a great job on my airplane.
I will be back soon for more upgrades.:)

Back