What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Missed one

Imagine47

First post. Kit 366.
Started my emp kit about a month ago. Attended the SportAir workshop, read everything I could find esp the collected wisdom on VAF. Great instructions from Vans.
Working along, making progress, thinking this airplane thing is not so hard after all until I noticed I somehow just missed a flush rivet in the middle of the rudder skin. All buttoned up now with the leading edge rolled and riveted. Idiot!
I don't know how to post a photo-maybe not allowed yet?
Anyway, any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Greg

MK rivet

Welcome Greg.
MK-319-BS pulled rivet. Slightly larger hole but its a flush rivet. Painter will fill the shank hole and no one will ever know.
Build on

Use a pop river in that hole and put a dab of filler in it before paint.

Build on.

Pick the appropriate sized pop rivet and move on. You can add a dab of proseal, JB weld, or other filler to the mandrel hole before you paint, and nobody will ever see it. One pop rivet is not a structural problem in that type of location.

Start drilling rivets, it won't take too long..... Just kidding, install a pulled rivet and build on.

-Marc

Y'all are unbelievable. Could you be a little quicker on the replies next time?
Second question. Anyone has or will put a/c on their 14? Not really optional here in South Texas. The Admiral and myself not big pants people so the weight isn't a huge issue.
Maybe I should start a new thread? Not clear on the etiquette here.
Thanks again.
Greg

There are many locations where the MK319BS rivet is suggested by Van's as a substitute for standard skin rivets. They are structurally strong and cosmetically acceptable as others have mentioned. They are made of monel - a very strong alloy that is galvanically neutral with aluminum.

I use a #33 reamer to size the holes - less issues with burrs on the side you can't reach.

Regarding A/C in the RV-14. Some have done AC in RV-10s, but I'm not aware of any in the -14. Lots of issues to consider including weight/balance, electrical load, and physical space for all the components of the AC unit. I personally think it adds too much complexity to the airframe. It makes more sense in an RV-10 IMHO.

Last edited:
Cheapest A/C is climb performance

Although it will not help in the pattern, remember the outstanding climb performance of all the Vans series allows a very short time to altitude. With standard lapse rates, ten thousand feet of altitude drops the temperature 35 degrees (F). Your 100 degree scorcher on the ramp turns into a huge volume off 65 degree air pouring out of the cockpit vents in cruise. Built in A/C! No weight, no electrical draw and no space required!

A.C.

Welcome I aboard. I to have thought about an A.C. in our 14a. We chose to 14a for comfort after all. However, when we flew with Mitch, in the factory demo, it was 87 and muggy! It was a bit uncomfortable up until engine start. He is at about 140' MSL so at 3500 I had very cool air coming inside the vents right at my knee. Also the sliding curtain attached to the top of the canopy helps a lot.

I used to sell airplanes in 90-91. Some of the higher end planes Saratoga, B58 had A.C. and you had turn the A.C. off for take off. I have no clue if that is till the same on new models of planes and newer A.C. units. It has been a few years but I seldom recall ever really using A.C. in flight other than a novelty. Just MHO.

Taked Care and Good Luck

Welcome I aboard. I to have thought about an A.C. in our 14a. We chose to 14a for comfort after all. However, when we flew with Mitch, in the factory demo, it was 87 and muggy! It was a bit uncomfortable up until engine start. He is at about 140' MSL so at 3500 I had very cool air coming inside the vents right at my knee. Also the sliding curtain attached to the top of the canopy helps a lot.

I used to sell airplanes in 90-91. Some of the higher end planes Saratoga, B58 had A.C. and you had turn the A.C. off for take off. I have no clue if that is till the same on new models of planes and newer A.C. units. It has been a few years but I seldom recall ever really using A.C. in flight other than a novelty. Just MHO.

Taked Care and Good Luck

Cirrus and aftermarket (and current production) Bonanza/Baron AC units made by AC Services in Tennessee don't have to be turned off on takeoff. But they are STC'd for the specific aircraft.

Back