What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engraved fuel Cap recommendation

algrajek

Well Known Member
Just want to put a plug in for "Up North Aviation" engraved fuel caps.
They did a great job on my RV8 caps and very easy to work with and reasonable.
Nordo

Trophy Engravers, do they ....

Trophy engravers are great but do they....

- clean and acid etch the caps?
- add color to lettering and heat cure?
- coat with AVGAS resistant clear coat and heat cure?

We do!!

RV caps put up with a lot more activity than an engraved plate on your trophy sitting on a shelf !!!!

Do you also offer unpainted and not clear coated? Paint fades, and clear coat chips when you pry up on it...or dropped on the ground.

On a fuel cap, I think I'd prefer engraved but unfinished. What's your typical turn around time?

machining

To do a good job I believe the caps have be machined. The trophy's that I have seen use surface etching. A machinist friend did mine and they look great. Probably about .030 deep.

Steve

Machining - Clear Coat - Polished Caps

The caps I engrave are machined using a CNC router system

I also do caps with no fill in the lettering or clear coat on top.

One very nice look is to polished the caps, have me engrave them and leave the lettering unpainted and no clear coat.

Any questions contact me through the web site below

To do a good job I believe the caps have be machined. The trophy's that I have seen use surface etching.

The trophy shop I went to machined very nice letters in my cap for a quite reasonable fee. But this gives me an excuse for a slightly off topic message:

While waiting for my caps I saw an aluminum plate on the wall with the famous pioneer space probe plaque. As it turns out, when the NASA group at Moffett field needed to have the plaques made, they took out the phone book - looked for a trophy shop and drove over. The same old guy that did my caps had done the pioneer plaques and he had kept some of his scrap test pieces. Too cool!

Last edited:
Fuel Caps

Ordered a set of fuel caps from Bill at Up North Aviation, they arrived a few days after placing the order. They look great. Bill must machine and mail the caps out the same day after receiving the order.

Up North Aviation endorsement

Up North does good, quick, appropriate-cost work.

I just received my engraved fuel caps, and I'm very happy. I cleaned up my caps and polished the surface myself before sending them in; they were returned quickly, well-packaged, and just as I ordered.

Bill was very responsive, answered all my questions - even the ones I didn't think to ask.

Yep ...

Bill at UpNorth offers a great service and very quick turnaround. I couldn't be happier with my engraved caps.

Another endorsement

Bill at UpNorth engraved my fuel caps. He called me to let me know they were on the way back to me. Nice work.

Will

I too can add my support to Bill from UP North Aviation-he supplied 2 new cap tops and engraved them exactly to my specs-couldnt be happier!

Pete Poland (RV7A-Australia):D

Back