What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emp inspection

CPSONE

Well Known Member
How "open" do the emp kit pieces need to be for a pre-cover inspection in Canada? In other words how much work can I do on the empennage sections before putting them aside for later inspection?

Last edited:
Make sure you can put your eyes or an inspection mirror on every single shop head. The MDRA inspector may not look at every one, but you can probably guess that if they can't you'll be drilling out some rivets ;-)

20120225_005501.jpg

I have started closing up the horizontal stab. Here is a picture of the under side of the right horizontal stab, which has identical work done on the left horizontal stab. You are looking at the underside, as you can see, the tip ribs are riveted underside and top, HS-702 fore spar is riveted, HS-707 nose rib is riveted and HS-708 underside riveted.

Can I do any more riveting? HS-404 and HS 405 on the side I'm currently working on maybe?

As it stands now the entire top skin is open, HS-404 and HS-405 (the inboard most ribs) are untouched, and the rear spar is off.

Is it finally time to move on?!

Last edited:
inspection

As long as the inspector can see every rivet then they can see if they are acceptable. It takes very little time to rivet the outside perimeter especially with a pneumatic squeezer that if in doubt leave it undone until inspection.
I'd say hang it up "safely" and off to rudder building!
Looks like you're doing a nice job...

Last edited:
Required inspections

This thread has me concerned. This is in Canada, but what inspections are required when building in USA? I knew I had to get the plane signed off when finished, but are there inspections I need during construction? Are the build regulations stricter in Canada?

I guess I am glad I haven't closed anything up yet. Maybe photos are good enough?

thanks and good luck with your inspector!

This thread has me concerned. This is in Canada, but what inspections are required when building in USA?

No worries, Rockwood. As you guessed, Canada is more strict about mid-build inspections. For the United States, only the single DAR or FAA inspection is required near the end to get the AW Cert. Also the static system / transponder check just like for certificated aircraft. Of course, regular mid-build inspections by EAA Tech Counselors and similar experienced eyes are strongly recommended.

--
Stephen

Yep.

What Stephen said, however, you'd be wise to have an EAA Tech inspector look at the subassemblies, like the stab, elevators, rudder and so on, before they're closed up with wingtips on. You'll have a copy of the inspection to show the DAR when the time comes and it will bode well for you.

Best,

no EAA Tech Advisor close

I just checked the EAA website and the closest Tech Counselor is about 2-1/2 hours away in Montrose. Several others are in the Denver area, about 3-1/2 hours by car. I suppose I could haul my parts over to Denver, but I hate taking the chance of damage. Im going the QB with the wings ans fuselage, so maybe I can pay one to come over for a tail kit inspection. If not, three of my attorneys are in Denver so I am there quite often.

Make sure you can put your eyes or an inspection mirror on every single shop head. The MDRA inspector may not look at every one, but you can probably guess that if they can't you'll be drilling out some rivets ;-)

That's exactly how to do it. Close it up as much as possible while still being able to sneak a mirror in where needed. When I had my horizontal stabilizor inspected, the bottom was completely riveted and the top had just enough rivets missing to lift up the skin and shine a flashlight in. The inspector was fairly happy with the amount of completion.

MDRA inspection

On my stab bits I installed the spar but riveted only one skin to it, leaving the back end of the ribs on one skin loose as well. That way the inspector could pull up the corners to look. I also left the leading edge rib at the root riveted only to the spar. It could be pulled out for a look inside. Kinda like this..
ixecs9.jpg

As long as the inspector can see every rivet then they can see if they are acceptable. It takes very little time to rivet the outside perimeter especially with a pneumatic squeezer that if in doubt leave it undone until inspection.
I'd say hang it up "safely" and off to rudder building!
Looks like you're doing a nice job...

Thanks! I guess that will be enough for now. I'll move on to vertical stab next. I guess I should send off my letter of intent too....heh :eek:

Great Thread !!!

I'll have to keep all my sub-assemblies "inspectable" as I'm about to start the empennage soon here in Europe then finish everything once back in Canada in about 5 years time...

So this is great information to have.

Thanks guys !!!

Back