What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

B-Nut Problem

mikemalone

I purchased a B-Nut from Aircraft Spruce (part #: 05-16245). When I tighten the grub screw, it does not tighten sufficiently to bear down on the cable (cabin heat cable with .05" diameter). The replacement part was exactly the same; when I tighten the grub screw, without a cable being inserted I can't see that the end of the screw even appears in the cable hole. It's like the grub screw hole hasn't been tapped deep enough. Anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions? Thanks.

With the nut in hand (not on the plane), you should be able to tighten the set screw and see it protrude into center of nut. This screw should screw in easily when there is no cable installed.

The screw hole should go all the way through the nut. If it doesn't you may need to run a tap through it.

B-Nut Mystery Solved

I received a reply from ACS. In their catalogue, (Part #: 05-16245), it shows a picture of the B-Nut with an arrow pointing at the cable hole (dimension A). In the specifications table, it shows the figure of .07". The cable for the Vans cabin heating cable has a width of .05". So, in effect, the Vans cable is too thin for the B-Nut. Mystery solved.

I received a reply from ACS. In their catalogue, (Part #: 05-16245), it shows a picture of the B-Nut with an arrow pointing at the cable hole (dimension A). In the specifications table, it shows the figure of .07". The cable for the Vans cabin heating cable has a width of .05". So, in effect, the Vans cable is too thin for the B-Nut. Mystery solved.

This recent ACS review may have some bearing... the user had a 0.050 wire -

I got a B nut that was not tapped deep enough for the Allen set screw to capture the .050 cable I used it on. When I tried to tighten it further my allen wrench broke off in the set screw rendering the whole thing useless. THE GOOD NEWS is that upon telling AS&S of my problem, they sent a new one and that one did the job very well. Great service without ANY hassle and expedited shipping. 4 stars only due to the first part sent. Otherwise 5 stars.

Back