What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

trim tab end rivets

CPSONE

Well Known Member
The plans show two rivets in the outboard end (small end) of the trim tab that you put in after the folds are made. They are not pre-drilled. The one at the forward end is no problem but looks like there is not proper edge distance if you put a rivet anywhere closer to the trailing edge tying the two folds together. Anyone have the "proper" location for this second blind rivet?
I serached the forums and could not find anything...

Here is what I did on my six,

The bend on the elevator tab was a bit fun. I clamped a piece of 1/8th inch aluminum inside the tab before assembly and then used a peewee roller as shown below. Radius the aluminum before clamping it, then once clamped carefully, roll it back and forth until it is tha angle you want, focusing the pressure as close as possible to the part you want to bend. I fit it all up and drilled the holes for the blind rivets before I assembled it. The rivets you see are CR3214-4-2 rivets. These have almost an identical head size of the MS20426AD3 rivets, but the have 1/8"shank and are considered a structural blind rivet.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/toms/rvproj/elvtabend.jpg

I hope this helps!

Trim tab

The bend on the elevator tab was a bit fun. I clamped a piece of 1/8th inch aluminum inside the tab before assembly and then used a peewee roller as shown below. Radius the aluminum before clamping it, then once clamped carefully, roll it back and forth until it is tha angle you want, focusing the pressure as close as possible to the part you want to bend. I fit it all up and drilled the holes for the blind rivets before I assembled it. The rivets you see are CR3214-4-2 rivets. These have almost an identical head size of the MS20426AD3 rivets, but the have 1/8"shank and are considered a structural blind rivet.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/toms/rvproj/elvtabend.jpg

I hope this helps!

I saw your post when I searched, looks great. The 7 has three holes pre-drilled on the inside end of the trim tab as shown in your link (you shw 2 rivets there for your -6). The rivets I'm wondering about are the outside ones on the other end where there are no pre-drilled holes.

Thanks for posting

Thanks for the compliments!

I saw your post when I searched, looks great. The 7 has three holes pre-drilled on the inside end of the trim tab as shown in your link (you shw 2 rivets there for your -6). The rivets I'm wondering about are the outside ones on the other end where there are no pre-drilled holes.

Thanks for posting

The RV6 comes with very few holes anywhere, I just eyeball analyzed it for spacing and edge distance. The holes were dimpled for a -3 countersunk rivet hole, but I opened them up so the cherry-max fit almost perfect.

It's the challenges that personalize the project.:)

Back