What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Trailing Edge bent: VA-140 to make E-1023

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I sent this question to Vans, but thought I'd post here as well to see what the fix might be. As you can tell from the pictures, I bent one of the elevator trailing edges (E-1023). Since it cracked I assume I cannot still use it. My concern is I've already match drilled and dimpled the skins. Can I just use a new piece of VA-140, go ahead and countersink it, cleco it to the skins and match drill? Any way to save this piece, if not will the VA-140 in my wing kit work for now. I'm sure I'll have more stuff to order from Van's in the future so figured I should wait till I need some more items to save on shipping costs.

Thanks,
Lynn

20140824_101938.jpg

20140824_095931.jpg

cjFcxDR_mkd3W1Rxs_p6EuvtjROnfoJ2ooUATcd7wnY

ZuaT8O8tgKB_e8sEpcNkiOvtjROnfoJ2ooUATcd7wnY

Last edited:
It's been a few years since I was at this point of the build. What are the big holes where the crack is? Did your AEX wedge come that way or did you drill them?

It's been a few years since I was at this point of the build. What are the big holes where the crack is? Did your AEX wedge come that way or did you drill them?

The wedge came that way, with the lightening holes. Another builder suggested straightening it, and using it since it's not structural, but I would at least have to cut out the cracked section which would leave a little void, the proseal should fill that though.

Interesting. Yeah, I'd go ahead and use it. You could cut it all the way through into 2 pieces and it wouldn't hurt anything. Build on!

get a new one

That wedge costs $29+ shipping from Van's. Just get a new one. You'll be happy you did, and it's a good lesson that will help you minimize future mistakes... It's not that it won't work if you piece it together, but getting a new one is a cheap price for peace of mind...

Lenny

I ended up pulling the VA-140 from the wing kit and making a new one. I'll add that to a future order from vans.

Thanks for the inputs.

Back