What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 prop ?

stamper

Well Known Member
I was not able to make it to Oshkosh and am ready to buy my prop for the rv10 now. Did anyone look at the props out there. Most curious to see if there is any new design or some prop that they say would be the best for the 10. I have also seen a few post that people have chosen the heavier prop for cg reasons. Can anyone elaborate on that for me. Thanks

Hi Bruce... the prop to have, IMO, is the two-bladed Hartzell blended airfoil prop. They have been proven to be the fastest, though not necessarily the smoothest. Six years on mine and no complaints.

Best,

MTV-B193-53 (I think!) three blade composite. REALLY smooth and not really any slower having run alongside a -10 with the Hartzell.

I have also been doing some research too and the prop decision can also depend on what your plans are with the engine. If you stay with a stock 260 hp with traditional mags, then the hartzell blended is a great way to go. Im favoring this configuration. Hartzell has a warning on vibration issues with the two bladed blended if your looking at higher compression jugs or e or p mags. The composites are great, but more sensitive to damage, if you do any back country or land at runways that are not maintained well.

I've only built 6 RV10's but I've used a few different 2 and 3 blade configurations with IO-540's.

My order of preference is:

1-Whirlwind 2 blade
2-Whirlwind 3 blade
3-Hartzell

MT does not make my list

'Some' folks feel they need to carry some weight in the back as they explore their new model 10, hence the comments about needing weight up front. I've installed various systems including air conditioning on multiple 10's and always felt they handled well with most loading configurations. This with the props mentioned above.

If I were building another RV10 today (I'm in the middle of another one now) I'd purchase another 2 blade Whirlwind (and I have :)). It's a good compromise of weight, speed, climb, smoothness, and very handsome looks IMO.

I quoted the poster below where it was said that the Hartzell was 'proven' to be the fastest'. I'd be very interested in seeing the 'proof' as that certainly has not been my experience. That said Hartzell does make a good prop and IMO just about anyone should be happy with one on their RV10. I was very happy with mine prior to flying behind the Whirlwinds. As you can see the Hartzell made #3 on my list :rolleyes:.

Best of luck with your decision.

I was not able to make it to Oshkosh and am ready to buy my prop for the rv10 now. Did anyone look at the props out there. Most curious to see if there is any new design or some prop that they say would be the best for the 10. I have also seen a few post that people have chosen the heavier prop for cg reasons. Can anyone elaborate on that for me. Thanks

Hi Bruce... the prop to have, IMO, is the two-bladed Hartzell blended airfoil prop. They have been proven to be the fastest, though not necessarily the smoothest. Six years on mine and no complaints.

Best,

Mt

I have a mt 3 blades.
Don't have any numbers. Really smooth. BUT the lower cowling is hard to remove with the 3 blades. ( i didn't made the choice. It was on the plane when i bought it. ).
On my next rv... A 2 blade prop.

No surprise I guess since your signiture says
"Whirlwind Prop Dealer"
but doesn't also say "Hartzel Prop Dealer" ;)

There are a lot of poster's on this forum that have skin in the game and recommend the products they carry and sell in their posts.:rolleyes:

prop

Okay first off thanks for those that replied. One of the above threads talked about the Herztell not being recommend for engines that have a higher compression witch I have and also electric mags. So should a guy stay away from hartzell?

Bruce, you might want to ask this question of Kahuna----------seems I remember him doing a lot of testing with the Hartzell prop, and had input from the company folks too.

Maybe send him a PM?

this is from the Hartzell.com web page. There are no restrictions with a stock engine; however, if you modify your engine they say:

Features:
TWO-BLADE BLENDED AIRFOIL DESIGN WITH THE BEST PROPELLER PERFORMANCE AS INDEPENDENTLY REPORTED. PER VAN’S, THIS PROPELLER PROVIDES 360 FT. TAKE-OFF WITH 211 MPH MAXIMUM SPEED AND 201 MPH CRUISE SPEEDS AT 75% POWER, AND A LIGHT LOAD CLIMB OF 1950 FPM.
Specifications:
80″ DIAMETER, REPAIRABLE DOWN TO 78″
6 YEAR, 2400 HOUR TBO
Restrictions:
No rpm restrictions
FAA vibration stress approved only for stock engines listed above. Propeller vibration characteristics and stress amplitudes on a reciprocating engine installation are primarily mechanically generated by the engine. Any modification to the standard engine configuration to include high compression pistons, electronic ignition, FADEC, tuned induction and exhaust, and turbo-charging or turbo-normalizing have the potential to adversely affect the propeller vibration characteristics and stress amplitudes. Hartzell Propeller, therefore, does not endorse any such engine modification unless the specific engine and propeller configurations have been tested and found to be vibrationally acceptable according to FAR 23-907.
- See more at: http://hartzellprop.com/pilots/kit-builders/rv-10-lycoming-io-540/#sthash.oORJyShp.dpuf

Thats where a two bladed whirlwind may come into play.

Back