What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light lens - crud, errr crack

coffeeguy

Well Known Member
I was fitting my landing light lenses and drilling the .030 holes. I thought I had done a good job of using a plexi bit, going slowly, little pressure, backing wood, etc, but one each one of them I had one hole that cracked. One of the lenses was a do over, the crack was going to grow. On the other lens I used a large plexi drill bit and was able to capture the whole crack. Don't remember what size it was, but it's definitely bigger than the #27 that is called for.

Since there is a retaining piece behind the lens that holds it against the skin, my question is, are there any downsides to just leaving one hole like this? The lens isn't going to move and the screw into the skin, thru the enlarged hole and into the nut plate behind will keep it snug.

I highly doubt there is going to be any issues with the larger hole. But if you have not dimple the skin yet, it might be worth getting a new set and fit them before you have dimpled the skin since this way it will be more accurate match drilling. Having a spare set would be nice to have, specially if you landing lights heat distort the lens.

I highly doubt there is going to be any issues with the larger hole. But if you have not dimple the skin yet, it might be worth getting a new set and fit them before you have dimpled the skin since this way it will be more accurate match drilling. Having a spare set would be nice to have, specially if you landing lights heat distort the lens.

Thanks, having a spare is a real good idea. I'll probably order 2 lenses, I still haven't finished final drilling and countersinking....

Back