What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us your panel !!!!!

bentlage said:
Just completing this RV-7, dual electrical systems, dual Lightspeed ignitions, Superior XP-IO360 with 4 into 1 exhaust, Hartzel BA.
The dual AFS 3500s installed without a hitch.
I like the size of the 3500s in the panel. I was thinking they'd be too large but they seem to fit well. Curious to hear your reactions on how it is to fly.

TODR

Here's my panel. The left side equipment has been rung out and it all worked off the bat except for 1 extra wire I needed to clip to make my landing light "on" indicator work (had an extra ground). No smoke, no sparks, no major errors. The stack is wired and I'll start smoke checking that this coming week. Just hung the engine so I'll be starting those wires over the long weekend.

Tail is mounted, seats are done and will be recieved this week. Wings have been mounted. Leaves the engine wiring, the cowling (with camlocks), the gear, canopy and top skins and final assembly. I have all parts in hand except for a verticle card compass.

The boost pump was silent when I powered it up. I had good current to the pump terminals so... I "primed" it with a soft mallet and on the 3rd light "prime" it started whirring like an angry nest of hornets.

We have a local builder's group with 4 RV's, a 7 flying, a 7A in final assembly and tinkering, an 8A with the airframe and canopy done and my 7A. We finished a paint booth in one member's garage and we are planning to paint all 4 in the next several years. We should just about be qualified as aircraft painters when we finish the last one.

Jekyll

RV-7A Panel In Process

Here is the panel I am in process of having Tony Sustare at Accuracy Avionics put together for me. He is having a custom fiberglass panel being molded to fit my radio stack, etc. The inner part of the panel will be a light gray where the gauges are mounted and the outer will be a dark gray (even though the pic does not represent this well). This will be a full IFR panel with a 430W and SL30 coupled with a switch to the Dynon DEK-D180 for the CDI and glide scope. The 430W, 496, & SL30 will also be coupled to the Trutrak RV10 A/P with all the bells and whistles that includes altitude hold, pre-select, etc. I have a custom logo being silk-screened on the panel for the smoke control switches and the sticks will have switches for A/P disconnect, PTT, remote smoke control, Vertical Power acknowledge, and top hat elevator and aileron trim. The Vertical Power system will be installed to eliminate the need of circuit breakers, ignition switch, etc. and will allow me to focus on flying the aircraft (rather than managing the aircraft) and will keep my head more outside the cockpit. A stereo intercom will be installed to be able to listen to the Sirius satellite radio and my iPod, or for the passenger to enjoy a DVD during long cross-country trips. Map lights will be installed on each side of the cockpit as well as a dimmer controller lower lip glare shield light on the bottom of the panel for ease of reading maps at night.

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/4378/mycustomfiberglassifrpaxh7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Bryon:

Sorry to intrude, but I felt compelled too. I noticed in your drawing you've selected a Flightcom 403, had you considered the PM3000? You may not know this but not only is it a great sounding stereo intercom with plenty of gain for the music input (important for iPods) but it also has differential music input, virtually eliminating the ground loop noise that is prevalent with any device connected to ships power other than the avionics bus.

Finally, it now has two unswitched inputs, perfect for inputing your unswitched from your Dynon and/or 496.

www.ps-engineering.com/pm3000.shtml

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.
www.ps-engineering.com
[email protected]

Last edited:
Anyone see any problems with this layout?
panel1vb1.jpg

Doug Mattson
RV9A

Doug:

It's all relative, relative to your mission. Probably should give us a bit more background before you ask for input.

Slider of tip-up?
VFR - IFR - night?
what EFIS?
GPS?

First thoughts: your switches are on the panel support frame, must move them.
Recommend the EFIS be higher to fall closer to your central vision.
One com radio suggest you are building a VFR panel but, who can be sure. If VFR, why the A/S and ALT? You can buy A/S and ALT options for the EIS as your VFR back ups.

Better info will generate better input from the forum.

Jekyll

Doug,

Check your PM.

FYI - you can't put your switches down there with the Affordable Panels panel. The frame for the panels is under your switches.

Also, you don't need your engine monitor on the left. Center your EFIS and move the monitor to the right side.

VFR
Slider
I already have the alt and as.
I am building this panel myself and the bottom 2 inches will not be covered up so the switches should be ok. The dynon is so low to miss the panel support on that side. I think the GRT is about a grand cheaper than the D10.

Belongs to Chuck Harder.

He wrote: Here is the panel on N700X. First flight today 10-2-07. the panel was started by Lancair but finished by Tony at Accuracy Avionics.

image003.jpg

Wow! Very nice panel. Those are the same switches I'd like to use. Can anyone give me a line on them?

N754RV Panel

Well here it is thus far: Wiring up now. The holes on left and right are for the parking brake on left and cabin heat on right.

Fuselage%201175.jpg

Panel

Paul: That's a thing of beauty! Incredibly capable. Right seater will have fun with the 2nd 3500. Do you have dual AHARS? Hope you win the bet. Merry Christmas. Bill

Thanks Bill

Bill,

It's a 3500EF and 3500EM, no dual AHARS, but a TT ADI for backup as well as batteries for the AFS stuff. Thanks for the kind words!! Happy Holiday to you as well and feel free to call us and have a chat with Doug K.

Paul Rough estimate of cost

Paul

You have the panel I want minus the copilot 3500. can you give me a rough estimate of cost? PM would be fine if you'd be more comfortable.

RV-10 Panel with Dual AF-3500 Screens

We had our annual EAA 105 chapter Christmas party Friday night at our house and had way more than 100 people show up.
It took some work but I managed to get the panel in the RV-10 powered up and the flush door latch installed for everyone to see.

rv10efismapsplitlf6.jpg

This picture shows the split screen with EFIS/Map/Engine on the pilot's side and Map/Engine on the copilot side.

rv10efismaplf4.jpg

This picture shows the split screen with EFIS/Engine on the pilot's side and full screen Map on the copilot side.

The Map currently has public and private airports, airspaces, terrain, intersections, VOR?s, state lines-and as of Friday night-rivers, lakes and major roads.

The RV-10 panel has:

AF-3500EF with AOA
AF-3500EE
AOA Pro
TruTrak DigiFlight II VSGV
Mountain High Oxygen system
PS8000 Audio Panel
430W
SL30
GTX 330 Transponder with traffic displayed on the (EFIS Map, 496 and 430W)

This gives me a dual AHRS panel with the added benefit that if I ever lose all electrical power the EFIS?s and 496 GPS will run on their own internal batteries. Not only does the EFIS unit receive ARINC data from the 430W it also sends heading and course data to the 430W using ARINC. The airplane icon will actually rotate on the 430W screen with heading data from the EFIS displaying the difference between track and heading.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4 (500+ Hours), N402RH RV-10 (Wiring)

Last edited:
Very Nice!!

Rob,

A great looking panel!! It looks like you have the terrain going on the right screen. Did you add an option for full screen map with no engine gauges? I was goona ask you about that. Have a great Holiday (tell Jenn and Tricia as well please).

Rob,

A great looking panel!! It looks like you have the terrain going on the right screen. Did you add an option for full screen map with no engine gauges? I was goona ask you about that. Have a great Holiday (tell Jenn and Tricia as well please).

We have a button option on the map page that lets you turn on and off the Engine and/or the Altitude/Airspeed tapes on the map display.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems
N401RH RV-4 (500+ Hours), N402RH RV-10 (Wiring)

The disco is now open...

I finally got Stein's blue LED disco lighting installed today as well as my left and right map lights. I originally tried a glow-strip but I didn't like the inverter. These LED lights are way cool! It's a not a great photo but but you get the idea.

Here's the installed LED strip.....

IMG_0731%20copy.jpg

And the effect....

IMG_0737.jpg

The panel is finished!!!!!!!

Hi Gang,

Well the panel is finished! It was over 200 hours of effort. I'm VERY fortunate to work at SteinAir as I had lots of help from our expert panel builders. Big thanks to Stein, Jed, Mike and Dan at SteinAir ..... and Rob, Jenny and Tricia of Advanced Flight for all of their help. I hope to have it installed with the front windshield/glass this week, and then it's off to the airport. She should be ready to fly soon (now if the Minnesota WXR would cooperate). Whooo Hooo!

PS I have entered Direct to KFCM on the 430W and it also shows on the AFS map screens. Additional info appears in several other places on the EFIS about the current waypoint/ETE etc... I just hooked up the ARINC interface and hope to have that going on Monday. The AFS EFIS with the 430W & Tru Trak A/P is a very good combo. This is a very good time to be a builder.

paul
panel2.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/MNRVFlyer/panel2.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/MNRVFlyer/Panel-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have to go back and check but mine is a Cardinal Beige powder coat, which matches the SW Jet Flex Sandy Beige.

Jim

Great Panel

Hey Paul,

Great panel!!!! If doing again, I'd go with virtually the same thing. I might try to add in the Vertical Power system to eliminate the switches and breakers but other than that..... Love the AFS stuff!!

What is the device above the Trutrak?

Darwin,

It's a clock and a CO detector. The switches are for A/P source select for ARINC and GPS. Can't have enough clocks...

Paul,

Did you make any structural revisions between the panel and the firewall to accommodate the AFS units? I believe the as supplied kit has ribs that attach to the panel at about the C.L. of each AFS display.

Larry

Hey Paul,

One question and a request for you. What did you use to label the panel? Also, how about a picture of the back?

Great looking panel!

Best
Richard

Richard,

I'll post a pic of the back tomorrow am. We have a printer at SteinAir that prints on a specially coated paper. We use some type of fixative in a rattle can (don't remember the name) to protect the printing a bit. After printing, put the paper in water and the very thin coating will lift off the backing...then apply and position the label. As long as you keep it wet you can adjust the position. Finally shoot the panel a few times with clear and it looks great!

Vertical Flight

Paul,

Did you consider the vertical flight system in your config. If you had it to do over would you go with this for the electricals?

I am impressed with the v200 and given that your panel looks like my dream, I appreciate your thoughts.

VP

Hi,

The VP stuff is great and I might very well use it if I had to do it all over again. The VP guys are a nice bunch too. We are working on some customer panels here at SteinAir that will use the VP stuff. Call/email me if you have any questions.

RV-7 Panel

Here is my panel. I used Adobe Photoshop and images from various online catalogs to determine the fit and arrangment.

panel.jpg

panel copy.jpg

Drew

Neato RV7 Panel

Again, I wish it were mine......but alas it's not! Anyway, it's being currently installed into an RV7 - should be flying by the time the weather is nice!

Cheers,
Stein

rv7g900x.jpg

Panel is alive and working as designed.

I'm not much of a photographer but here's my 98% complete panel. One piece panel, AP & ADI from Affordable Panels, Avionics Stack from Stark, GRT's from Stein. The MVP-50 orginally mounted from the rear and looked better but I changed it so I could remove it from the front for serviceability.
Using the 496 for GPS#2 and weather instead of the GRT weather and GPS.
Probably overkill for most of mission but I'm sure I'll like it once I'm flying. Still have a little wiring and cosmetic work to do and I still need that darn customer flap switch handle.
panel006qb3.jpg

Looks very nice, Rick.

I'm very close to starting my panel...I got my radios from Stark and have everything else except for the new GRT.

Back