Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Electrical Systems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2020, 04:18 PM

I just happened to re-read your book on Wednesday!
Iím still building a -14A (finished empennage and working on wings) and was looking to get refreshed on electrical as I need to start thinking about avionics and such.
It was a really enjoyable read on a topic that can be difficult for those not doing this stuff everyday. Loved it.

I have very little feedback, but just a few suggestions:
  • After completing the reading, Iím focused on Wiring diagram 3 - Vertical Power IFR with backup alternator, power system and EFIS.
  • Two items that i think would be common in this configuration are missing: 1. Navigator and 2. Heated pitot (though i see the switch for one)
  • Maybe some more information on both selecting, placing, and wiring typically used antennas? (I enjoyed what you covered related to typical wires for atennas)

I consider your book a hugely valuable learning tool and reference and something Iím sure to come back to over the course of my build and thereafter. Many thanks for writing and publishing it.
Kind regards,

RV-14A Kit #140477
http://www.rkulesa.com/category/building-a-plane/
Empennage Complete
Wings in progress
Old 03-24-2020, 10:20 AM

Thank you all for the feedback and PMs. I do try to focus on key information with broad applicability rather than specific details or vendor-specific instructions (other than Vertical Power).

I'll review all the comments and do my best to incorporate them.

Thinking about low and slow backcountry build.

VAF Advertiser - Aircraft Wiring Guide
Book to help with experimental aircraft wiring.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:30 AM

Oh, and one more comment about distribution:

The book is sold both electronically and in paperback.

The paper version is printed and distributed worldwide by a third party, and books are digitally printed when ordered. The book is also distributed through dealers like SteinAir, EAA, Vans, Aircraft Spruce and others.

The electronic version is sold through Apple iBooks and Amazon Kindle. This covers almost all of the electronic readers and devices.

As you can imagine, each of these entities is independent of the other. I would love nothing more than to offer a package where you can view it electronically and get a paper copy too. However, I have yet to figure out a way to get the different distribution platforms to work together on this. And balance this with the time needed for family and work. I'm open to ideas!
Thinking about low and slow backcountry build.

VAF Advertiser - Aircraft Wiring Guide
Book to help with experimental aircraft wiring.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCA View Post
As you can imagine, each of these entities is independent of the other. I would love nothing more than to offer a package where you can view it electronically and get a paper copy too. However, I have yet to figure out a way to get the different distribution platforms to work together on this. And balance this with the time needed for family and work. I'm open to ideas!
Have you thought about just selling it as a PDF file? That way you'd cut out the middleman, and the buyer could easily decide what format they want, since I could just as easily (in fact, would prefer to) print it out at the local Kinko's, or even on my own printer. You could send the buyer a download link valid for 24 hour or so, I'm sure there's way to make it a one-time download link or good for XX numbers of downloads.

Last edited by Steve Crewdog : 03-25-2020 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:29 AM

I am a complete novice about airplane electrical system or any electrical system. For a point of reference, a lot of electrical discussions in this forum are above my head too. I found your book was very helpful in explaining the basics at a high level but not enough for me to start wiring the airplane I am working on. I needed Nuckolls's book but it is really dense, covering a lot of topics not related to what I want which is a simple VFR panel with some backup electricity to power the pmags that I am planning to use. While I understand the sophistication using of the Vertical Power architecture, I just wanted something simpler so I can wire myself and keep it reliable. So it's the choice of having bit too little information and too much information.

Donation paid through 2020