What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Idea for Next "Aircraft Wiring Guide" Book

MCA

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Feedback for "Aircraft Wiring Guide" Book

I'm looking for feedback from those that have read the Aircraft Wiring Guide (see link in the signature below) and wanted to get any input about:
- new topics to include
- updates to existing topics
- fixes
- useful comments in general to improve the book

Please comment below or send me a PM.

Thanks!

Marc

Last edited:
Just ordered one. Looks good, since I'm in the middle of redoing my wiring.

Suggestions:
What a shunt is and why you do/don't need one in your system.

Service loops: leaving wire so you can remove stuff for repair later.

Allow the option to have both a print and electronic version for one price. I'd love to keep the print version at the hangar so I can write notes on it, etc., but don't want to take it along on a trip, I'd lose the dang thing, and on a crowded airplane it's easier to read an e-book.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Digital version for my iPad.

I'm re-reading now, will make content suggestions when I finish.

George

Marc, perhaps much expanded sections on alternators, regulator types, and over-voltage protection methods. Lithium-iron batteries too.

Marc,
I really appreciated you and your book when I was wiring up my plane. I agree with Dan that alternators, voltage regulators, and the new batteries. For alternators I would like more info on the substitute auto or tractor units and how they match up with the airplane units. That may not be what your book is geared for so thats fine.

Good luck with the new book. I will buy one even though I am finished with my wiring!

I have not had the pleasure of reading your book, so I can't comment directly on it.

However, watching the forums, it is obvious that many homebuilders go crazy with the backup systems and that should be addressed.

In my case, my SkyView has a battery backup, my PocketPanel has an internal battery to backup the SkyView, and I have kept a handheld GPS in the panel to back that up. Not to mention P-mags (standard magnetos will do the same) so no need for a backup power source for those, or the electronics.

In my situation, I wouldn't care if the transponder and ADS-B went dark but would like a battery to keep one radio alive.

I fear that people make their electrical systems so complex that they introduce failure modes when they need the system to function properly the most. Having multiple switches to flip isn't a good solution as people get stressed and talk themselves out of going to their backup system.

Good luck with your changes!

I have a copy on the desk next to me! It is a great reference for the basics of things like busses and the layout of fundamental components.

If you wanted to significantly expand it, you could include discussion of the wiring of various avionics, lights, antennas, etc. I realize that each system is different and it may be hard to make general comments, but some examples of the actual hardware and how to wire it could be interesting.

Integration of different systems

Hi Marc,

Suggestions on how to integrate different electrical options or systems.

For example, although most venders provide detailled instructions to install their products, there are few if any suggestions or "watch-out" when more than one system is installed. One realises that they cannot predict what a builder installs or not...

I did a lot of head scatching and asked questions when planning/installing an electronic circuit protection (such as VPX) system and Flyefii's Bus Manager so that neither system would interact negatively between each other.

I have the AWG and also the AeroElectric book.

AeroElectric is a bit to amplified for me and AWG is too superficial.
So I would appreciate something in between.
And I agree with DanH's list.

Marc, perhaps much expanded sections on alternators, regulator types, and over-voltage protection methods. Lithium-iron batteries too.

I just happened to re-read your book on Wednesday!
I?m still building a -14A (finished empennage and working on wings) and was looking to get refreshed on electrical as I need to start thinking about avionics and such.
It was a really enjoyable read on a topic that can be difficult for those not doing this stuff everyday. Loved it.

I have very little feedback, but just a few suggestions:
  • After completing the reading, I?m focused on Wiring diagram 3 - Vertical Power IFR with backup alternator, power system and EFIS.

• Two items that i think would be common in this configuration are missing: 1. Navigator and 2. Heated pitot (though i see the switch for one)
  • Maybe some more information on both selecting, placing, and wiring typically used antennas? (I enjoyed what you covered related to typical wires for atennas)

I consider your book a hugely valuable learning tool and reference and something I?m sure to come back to over the course of my build and thereafter. Many thanks for writing and publishing it.
Kind regards,

Thank you all for the feedback and PMs. I do try to focus on key information with broad applicability rather than specific details or vendor-specific instructions (other than Vertical Power).

I'll review all the comments and do my best to incorporate them.

:D

Oh, and one more comment about distribution:

The book is sold both electronically and in paperback.

The paper version is printed and distributed worldwide by a third party, and books are digitally printed when ordered. The book is also distributed through dealers like SteinAir, EAA, Vans, Aircraft Spruce and others.

The electronic version is sold through Apple iBooks and Amazon Kindle. This covers almost all of the electronic readers and devices.

As you can imagine, each of these entities is independent of the other. I would love nothing more than to offer a package where you can view it electronically and get a paper copy too. However, I have yet to figure out a way to get the different distribution platforms to work together on this. And balance this with the time needed for family and work. I'm open to ideas!

As you can imagine, each of these entities is independent of the other. I would love nothing more than to offer a package where you can view it electronically and get a paper copy too. However, I have yet to figure out a way to get the different distribution platforms to work together on this. And balance this with the time needed for family and work. I'm open to ideas!

Have you thought about just selling it as a PDF file? That way you'd cut out the middleman, and the buyer could easily decide what format they want, since I could just as easily (in fact, would prefer to) print it out at the local Kinko's, or even on my own printer. You could send the buyer a download link valid for 24 hour or so, I'm sure there's way to make it a one-time download link or good for XX numbers of downloads.

Last edited:
I am a complete novice about airplane electrical system or any electrical system. For a point of reference, a lot of electrical discussions in this forum are above my head too. I found your book was very helpful in explaining the basics at a high level but not enough for me to start wiring the airplane I am working on. I needed Nuckolls's book but it is really dense, covering a lot of topics not related to what I want which is a simple VFR panel with some backup electricity to power the pmags that I am planning to use. While I understand the sophistication using of the Vertical Power architecture, I just wanted something simpler so I can wire myself and keep it reliable. So it's the choice of having bit too little information and too much information.

Hi Marc,

Here's an example of wishing for more flexibility in the downloading/printing process. I ordered my Guide a few weeks ago, it will finally be delivered tomorrow. Yes, I could have gotten it instantaneously if I wanted to limit it to a computer, but I dislike reading on them (eyestrain), and we spend so much time on computers as it is. If the Guide was in PDF format I could have taken it to my local Kinkos that day and printed it out, or even printed out pages I wanted to reference on my hangar printer.

Take care, and Thanks

Steve

Last edited:
DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM SCHEMATIC

I have an RV-10 with a Dual Battery set-up. Most people think I am carrying too much dead weight with two PC625's in the fuse and they don't seem to understand my concept of having "Dual Battery's". The purpose is to prevent me from being stranded with low/no battery power on the ground at a strange airport. Its a Boating Thing!. I have twin Diesels in a boat so I need 3 batteries with a switch to bring on/off line as needed for starting in remote locations while on Anchor. It saved my butt many times in the Bahamas. Back to the RV-10: I once landed on Tangier Island Va off season only to find everything closed. Then I was unsuccessful to "Hot Start" the six cylinder and ran down my main battery, I switched to the Master Switch #2 and cranked on the back up battery until its cranking power weakened so I switched on BOTH Batteries at once and VROOM ! No need to sleep in this plane tonight! When I read your Book about the Dual Batteries it seemed to be more about having a back up for the Glass Panel or Avionics and nothing to do with cranking the engine. As for the Avionics if I were to lose Main battery power I can still switch to the 2nd Master and bring on the back up power and head for the nearest airport too. Think of it as a Second battery with jumper cables attached and brought on by a simple Solenoid/switch, they both feed into the main trunk-line from the fuse to the firewall ? OH Yeah, now as for weight issue I am considering replacing TWO PC625's for TWO ETX900's to cut the weight down to 1/4 th and double the cranking power. Your thoughts?

step by steppanel build

Hello Marc,
just completed reading the book. It was enlightening ! very recommended.

Now, I would like to start work on my panel.
How do I do that? step by step of the work plan.
how do I estimate harnesses length? with what harness do I begin?
What do mount on sub panel and what on front panel?
on sub panel, where do I place the various components? at what stage do i make that decision?

Thanks
Oren

Back