What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fluting F-768B outboard sub-panel flanges

Draker

Well Known Member
Tip-up configuration. My outboard (curved) sub-panel flanges don't lay flat on a flat table at all. I assume I should be fluting these to straighten them and line the holes up prior to fitting the skin, but 1. the plans don't call it out, and 2. I don't see any other builder's logs that mentioned having to do this step. Are my flanges just unusually warped from the factory?

IMG_2242-M.jpg

IMG_2243-M.jpg

You probably only need to flute the tab with 3 rivet holes such that the 3 holes line up.
Use the seamer so the flange angle matches the top skin angle and that should be enough.

This is a good time to think about the instrument panel layout and if you are going to reposition the subpanel to instrument panel supports. If you are doing dual HDX or G3 you will need to cut the supports off at the subpanel and move them inboard to clear the displays. If you move them either side of the radio stack ( if you put the radio stack in the center of the instrument panel) that will work out well. I put a small angle bend in the three sub panel parts along a line between the upper longerons. This provides some stability and stiffness to the sub panel when all is installed and provides a better overall fit (at least it did for my build).
KT

I also recommend waiting until after dimpling to check the scenario again. Dimpling can sometimes cause a bow over a long piece, especially if it's straight.

Thanks! I very lightly fluted the parts in order to line up the holes, and everything fits fine. Installed the skin temporarily and everything lines up so I guess I didn't need to worry.

keitht: Yes, I already discovered here on VAF about how one must re-locate those supports to fit 10" displays on the panel. I do not yet have a panel design so not sure where the radio stack will be and where the displays will be yet, but it looks like I'm going to need to decide soon.

Also, am I the only one irritated that the plans have you fit and drill that F-697 "hat" channel, but they don't include it in the Fuselage kit? It's in the finishing kit for whatever reason! Future builders: Have them add that piece to your Fuselage kit order.

Last edited:
The hat channel needs to be trimmed to length and an aperture cut in the mid sub panel for any of the Garmin radios to fit in the center area of the panel. Any time you go ?off plans? it is a big deal that involves more than first imagined. I had to drill out the rivets for the hat section twice to trim parts to fit for my radio installation.

KT

Back