What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Must have list

grumman41

I'm currently starting the search for an RV4. I'm meeting an owner to see if I feel comfortable with the "fit" and then move forward from there.

I like planes VERY simple (manual flaps) but will need basic IFR instruments, light as possible, minimum interior, fixed pitch.

Can you guys help me with a "nice" list of things you would want on a 4?

Probably add a Garmin 430 WAAS, most airports in my area are served by GPS approaches on both ends. I wont be departing or arriving in really low ceilings so I wont be installing an ILS receiver.

This setup should get me down to 300 to 400 foot in most areas.

IfR in rv4

Probably add a Garmin 430 WAAS, most airports in my area are served by GPS approaches on both ends. I wont be departing or arriving in really low ceilings so I wont be installing an ILS receiver.

This setup should get me down to 300 to 400 foot in most areas.

I dont know what your experience level is but Actual IFR in the RV4 can be a bit challenging..to say the least.

Cm

Auto pilot. I thought it would be useless with the type flying I do, but I use it almost every flight when going from point A to B.

Seriously, if you are going to fly it in the soup, autopilot.

Bob burns
Rv-4. N82rb

Reality check?

I dont know what your experience level is but Actual IFR in the RV4 can be a bit challenging..to say the least.

Cm

Sadly I must agree with this quote, and I know this opinion is not universal (nothing on this forum is), but....

I'm not trying to burst your bubble here...but my suggestion is to rethink your mission or your desired airframe.

Start looking for an IFR equipped RV-4, and you'll find the selection is slim.

Start thinking about buying a VFR equipped RV-4 and spending the money to make it SAFE IFR, and you're going to end up with $60-70K invested in a RV-4 that just doesn't do a very good job in IFR conditions.

Don't get me wrong. I loved my RV-4. Just about the most fun I've ever had in a light aircraft. BUT, it's a toy, a really fun toy, but a toy.

+1 on what Jim said.
I strongly favor an O-320 160 HP fixed pitch prop RV-4 with "light & simple" built right in.
O-360 with Constant speed has lots of wow factor, but you really can learn to appreciate what VAN had in mind.
One excellent part of the RV-4 is the access. You tilt the canopy over, remove the cover over the instrument panel, and can update or replace the panel while standing at the leading edge of the wing.
My RV-8 is much harder to work on.
If you mean "Basic IFR panel" instruments, an RV-4 has a pretty small panel.
They do not usually have an attitude indicator or a directional gyro. That also liberates the plane from a costly and heavy vacuum pump, regulator, filter & hoses.
This is upgraded with an EFIS, even a basic Dynon D-10a will be great, weigh less than any 2 instruments and calculate TrueAirspeed as a bonus.

Extras I wanted on my RV4 after 300 hours

Wider cockpit
More back seat room
More baggage capacity
Larger engine
Longer stronger gear legs

Buy a rocket

My RV-4 Shopping List

RV-4 Criteria
? Minimum acceptable
◦ 180 hp
◦ Pivot Throttle - not vernier
◦ Position lights
◦ Landing lights
◦ Heavy duty firewall weldments
◦ Pilot PTT
Long Gear Legs
? Highly Desireable
◦ EFIS
◦ Constant Speed or adjustable prop
◦ Fuel Injection (not necessarily IO-360)
◦ Inverted oil system
? Nice to have
◦ Full Glass panel
◦ Wing to*Fuselage fairings
◦ Fastback canopy
◦ Upgraded (James) cowl
◦ Rear seat footwell
◦ Heated pitot tube / AOA
◦ Electric flaps and trim
◦ Rear throttle, rudder pedals, PTT
◦ Todd?s Canopy
◦ Aerobatic Harness (ratcheting)
◦ Upgraded Tailwheel fork
◦ P-Mag (Lightspeed or similar)
◦ Vertical Power Electronic CB system

Front Baggage Compartment

I have 1200 hours in N95JF with a Pacesetter 200/8.5 piston O-320....forget everything else: you need a front baggage compartment (mine can carry 11 bottles of Rafanelli zin in case I pull into Hutchinson, Kansas or Muscadine Iowa or Thermopolis Wyoming after the liquor stores are closed...)

I have 1200 hours in N95JF with a Pacesetter 200/8.5 piston O-320....forget everything else: you need a front baggage compartment (mine can carry 11 bottles of Rafanelli zin in case I pull into Hutchinson, Kansas or Muscadine Iowa or Thermopolis Wyoming after the liquor stores are closed...)

Right on..
Why does everyone want to turn a thorobred into a pack mule?

Cm

Back