What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy latch question

sblack

Well Known Member
The canopy latch rods are spring loaded to push the pins into their holes on the panel and rear bulkhead (right?). But if that's the case, what is to stop you from bring down the canopy with the lever in the wrong position which would damage the pins and/or the forward and aft skins? I have the feeling I am missing something here. Can anyone enlighten me?

Scott,
You will damage your skins if your latch lever isn't held fully open while closing.
This is the way it was designed. Spring pressure is to keep the canopy latched.
Hope this helps

In our hot climate, Centrald Qld Australia. I carry i bit of rag to put under the aft pin to protect the skin and allow the hot air to get out when it is sitting in the sun.

The design will prevent the canopy from blowing open if you fail to lock it, but requires two hands to open and close..I never allow anyone but me to open/close mine to prevent damage of skins/pins. A friend has a -4 that has springs removed, and he has had the canopy blow open twice during start/taxi because it wasn't latched, resulting in damage to the canopy and frame. There are some clever taxi latch designs which automatically latch a few inches from close.

Discipline!

The canopy latch rods are spring loaded to push the pins into their holes on the panel and rear bulkhead (right?). But if that's the case, what is to stop you from bring down the canopy with the lever in the wrong position which would damage the pins and/or the forward and aft skins? I have the feeling I am missing something here. Can anyone enlighten me?

Simple answer is your brain and discipline!

Ok so if that is the case then one has to be really careful to not have the wind blow it closed. Perhaps I will go for a rigid link rather than an air cylinder. Thanks for clearing that up.

Mark 1 String

Hi

I have not put a rigid link in or a ram at this stage and just use mark 1 string.

I am careful not to park with the canopy open with the wind trying to close it. As I say this is completely ok if you just think about what you are and always shut the canopy with the latches open.

I have considered a ram and may fit one eventually but the same will apply the latch always needs to be open when closing the canopy.

Mark 1 string

Light, simple, it works... same string for the last 950 hours.

I guess Im old fashioned because light simple and inexpensive were part of building an airplane years ago.
Sure has changed alot.
Cm

If you install a taxi hold open latch, like the one I have, it is pretty much impossible to damage the skins because you have to fully actuate the lever to get past the taxi latch, thus you safely clear the skins. Canopy blowing shut is a different story, and best of luck with that.

I thought to snap a couple pictures of my taxi latch after flying today. The top picture (front side of latch) is in the taxi open position, you can see the taxi pin engaged. The taxi pin is pretty long, so to shut the canopy, the lever needs to be fully actuated for the taxi pin to clear the latch. In the second picture (rear side of latch) I am holding the latch open, as it just falls shut via gravity.

412451095.jpg

412451096.jpg

Back