What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Match Hole 4!

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Match Hole RV4!!!

At Vettermans Bad Lands Fly In this last time.

I met a gentleman that had a modified RV8 center section in a new RV4 he was building. He said he was using a RV8 wing and tail kit. Said he has a steel jig for the fuselage and could frame one up pretty fast.
If someone wanted a faster build in a RV4? This might be a good way to make it happen!

The wing/fuse interface is completely different. The -8 wing spars does not go all the way throgh like the -4 spar. Wonder how he tackled that issue.

What gear?

RV-8 gear is a torque box section/spring completely different from the engine mount Whitman type gear on the -4.I haven't built a -8, so I cant fully elaborate, but it seems to me this would be a rather difficult adaption of parts. But then again I have seen some amazing variations that worked well...I hope we can see the final project soon!

The wing/fuse interface is completely different. The -8 wing spars does not go all the way throgh like the -4 spar. Wonder how he tackled that issue.

I think this describes it...

"...modified RV8 center section in a new RV4 he was building..."

The RV-4 landing gear could remain the same so the RV-8 gear box structure is not needed.

Thanks

Gil read my post.
This is really an exciting idea! The man that has done this just might cause more RV4s to be built.
There were Two RV4s at The Bad Lands Fly In that had RV8 tails on them. One was owned by the gentleman that was building a second 4 with the Modified RV8 carry through bulkhead. The two builders said the 8 tails went on their 4 fuselages with no modifications.
He had a bunch of pictures of his new build. With the 8 center bulkhead painted
Pink!
Pretty neat! I think.

Hello,

Mr. Pratt, I am really intrigued and interested about this RV-4 modification
using -8 parts.

Where could I get more info or see pics of that project?
Does the builder keep a blog or website? Do you have any more details?

Thank you

oceanbird
VAF dues paid

Perhaps he has a Fry jig, which was made for an RV-4 fuselage. The jig's instructions come with some data which would make an RV-4 fuselage fit a bit better during assembly.

I've got one of those jigs which I'm using for an RV-3B fuselage. You can read about the jig itself here.

Dave

RV-8 PARTS ON A -4

Are there any advantages except for ease of building in using an RV-8 tail on a -4??

Thanks

Bruno

I am lucky enough to hangar very near this build. It is great getting to watch this project come together. The center section is beautiful as is the rest of the craftsmanship. Stopped off this morning on the way to work to check up on progress and he is just about ready for inspection. Should be flying soon, can't wait to see her in action.

byrdman36,

Would you, with builders permission, of course, take some pictures
of this project and share with us? I would really appreciate.

I´d like to see how he modified the center section, how different seating is
from a standard -4, how the completed plane looks...
Maybe I am not the only one that would like to take a look :)

Last edited:
byrdman36,

Would you, with builders permission, of course, take some pictures
of this project and share with us? I would really appreciate.

I?d like to see how he modified the center section, how different seating is
from a standard -4, how the completed plane looks...
Maybe I am not the only one that would like to take a look :)

Oceanbird, I will be seeing him today and will see what he thinks.

image_3.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image_1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back