- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Smile But Van has personally owned...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterk View Post
I agree Gil. Its all possible and was certainly an intention of the design. I think the difference between the RV12 and gliders is that most glider manufacturers actually build them with trailering and wing removal in mind. I don't believe Van's actually gave any practical thought to either when they designed the 12...unfortunately. In fact the one that was trailered to Florida a couple years ago was damaged by the time it got to Florida. All that said, I think it is an outstanding airplane and commend Vans for doing what they do best...design aircraft. To my knowledge, they have no plan to get into the trailer business.
...at least two sailplanes - I'm sure he knows about dis-assembly...

Glider trailers are rarely designed/made by the glider manufacturers - they are a third party item - just like the one-man assembly rigs. Wait for enough RV-12s to be completed and a trailer will appear...

The plane (or glider) does get a lot of wear when trailered, and trailer design can be difficult - having built two of them myself. It does take a couple of long trips to sort out the bugs, and the required suspension stiffness. I wonder if the Florida trip was a trailer maiden voyage?

The "roll it into a small hangar space and store the wings in racks" might end up being the most cost-effective storage solution though.
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 05-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Default Wings Removal; Trailering

Thanks to everyone for their responses and discussion regarding my questions. Obviously single-person wing removal and trailering capability must not be high on Van's priority list if nothing has been done in over 2 years.
I really want to be able to trailer my aircraft home, and to be able to set it up myself at the airport. I spent an afternoon looking at a flying example of a Kitfox Series 7 Super-Sport, and learning about the aircraft from its builder. It has a well-designed, simple and easy to operate wing folding system that only requires one person to use, and it has hard-points designed into the aircraft for trailering it short distances on its own gear. It is also a great performing aircraft, with a 25 year history and a stellar safety record. I'm considering that aircraft as an alternative to the RV-12.