What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8/8A building tip

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
I worried about the fuselage bottom skin oil canning between the 808 and 809 bulkheads. I added a piece of 0.032? angle along the bottom of the skin. I did the same on the RV-8A I built 17 years ago and it seemed to work.

Carl
5_E1978_CF-951_D-4_D72-81_E6-436930_B063_CB.jpg

I worried about the fuselage bottom skin oil canning between the 808 and 809 bulkheads. I added a piece of 0.032? angle along the bottom of the skin. I did the same on the RV-8A I built 17 years ago and it seemed to work.

What makes you think it oil cans without the angle?

Tail Belly Skin Oil-Canning

Carl
5_E1978_CF-951_D-4_D72-81_E6-436930_B063_CB.jpg

If the skin oil-cans in that area it's likely because the bulkhead flanges weren't bent to the correct angle prior to riveting.

Skylor
RV-8

Ok - I can see my simple tip started a debate, so let me add:
- I did not have oil canning to begin with so yes, I built it correctly.
- This is the widest piece of flat skin on the airplane that goes without structure. I added this very small piece of angle to appease my engineering eye.
- It is a tip - not a ?if you don?t do it you will fall out of the sky? warning. Take it at face value.

Carl

I worried about this too, although on my RV-9A. I saw some posted photos on this website of an RV-7(A) doing a pullup/roll and there was distinct oil canning in the bay just aft of the baggage bulkhead, and a slight one in the bay aft of that. I added some leftover Van's J channel to the aft most bay and Van's EFIS tray and my own mirrored version in the bay aft of the baggage bulkhead. Once the skin oil cans (buckles) the load has to go somewhere else. I prefer to add stiffeners.

Back