What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear Baggage Bulkhead Access

rvanstory

Well Known Member
Need advice from fellow builders who have been down this path before me.

Working on rear bulkhead panels now. Seems like you'd want to look into tail cone once in a while just to see how things are (between condition inspections). Some builders have added an access panel. See link to this thread:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=114894

Is it worth adding an access panel? I'm thinking just large enough to have a good look once in a while without having to remove the entire lower panel. But, is removing the lower panel any big deal? Don't want to overcomplicate things and anytime I deviate from plans, it takes time.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

I?ve never had reason to get into the tailcone just to take a look and after 3 years I have experienced nothing to change my opinion. That said if you feel the need, the top panel doesn?t involve much effort to remove and you?d have take it off first to remove the lower panel anyway.

I?ve never had reason to get into the tailcone just to take a look and after 3 years I have experienced nothing to change my opinion. That said if you feel the need, the top panel doesn?t involve much effort to remove and you?d have take it off first to remove the lower panel anyway.

I put in small door (some hinge material on top and bottom, some scrap pieces - done). Pull one pin and the door opens. I use it all the time. I have a ground DC power supply connection behind the door to run the panel if needed. A flashlight look through the door once in a while to make sure all is well.

I never take off the top panel. The bottom only comes off for condition inspection.

Carl

I put in small door (some hinge material on top and bottom, some scrap pieces - done). Pull one pin and the door opens. I use it all the time. I have a ground DC power supply connection behind the door to run the panel if needed. A flashlight look through the door once in a while to make sure all is well.

I never take off the top panel. The bottom only comes off for condition inspection.

Carl

I have no idea what I was thinking about the top panel — of course it doesn’t need to come off to take the lower panel off. My guess is what I was trying to say was it’s less time consuming to take off the top as there is significantly fewer screws. I have an externally accessible 3-prong mil style ground power point so that’s not an issue for me. However I still don’t feel the need to look inside the tailcone between condition inspections just like I don’t feel the need to look inside the wings. YMMV....

Last edited:
It?s easy enough to get the panels off and there are few reasons to look back there between annuals.

But more importantly, that bulkhead is structurally important. I have a problem with amatures making modifications without any knowledge of engineering. There are quite a few 10s out there that I would fail a pre-buy inspection because they were structurally modified and made unsafe.

Socket head hex screws and an electric screwdriver takes less than 5 minutes to remove lower cover and 10 minutes to install.

To each his own, but adding this proved well worth the time.

Carl
Access_door_1.jpg

Access_door_2.jpg

I put a pretty nice sized access panel in mine... I use it all the time. Would not live without it. I had a spare bulkhead so I was able to make the door overlap the opening. Reinforced the opening with u channel, hinge at the bottom, and 1/4 turn fasteners at the top. Works great...

Back