What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Reason Not to use KTUL ?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
I need to fly over to Tulsa sometime in the next couple of weeks In one of the RV?s To visit the engine shops for some story research. Since they are located right across the street from Tulsa International, that seems like an obvious place to fly in to - but I?ll be there a couple days, so will get a rental car anyway, which means it isn?t hard to use another airport if KTUL is to be avoided.

Any local Gouge on the best place to go and FBO to use?

Paul

I was there not too long ago in a work airplane and we used Atlantic.
The ground crew seemed to have their act together and the counter staff were helpful. We were too big to park on their regular ramp but I did note some piston aircraft parked there so it isn't kerosene burners only.

KTUL alternative

I haven't flown into KTUL, but I fly into KRVS (southwest Tulsa) about once a year or so since I have family around Tulsa. It's super friendly to GA and Christiansen Jet Center has always taken great care of me. It's a great alternative if you decide you don't want to deal with all of the commercial traffic at KTUL (though likely fairly reduced right now).

If Barrett Precision Engines is part of your research, I'll share the documentary of my engine build there with you, if you find it helpful. You can fast forward through the travel bits if you like; I covered the build very thoroughly, and have used it as a basis for some chapter presentations.
https://youtu.be/gTHjjYu50wo

Paul, I can second Jason's alternative recommendation of KRVS and Christiansen. Smaller airport and less complicated.

I flew the Caravan there a couple of times. The FBO is wonderful, loaner cars and a pretty impressive pilot lounge / sleep area, which I used for a few hours.

Right base for 19R brings you over the sandy Arkansas River, and it's visually kinda cool.

Tulsa takes about 10-15 to drive from end to end, so I wouldn't sweat any traffic concerns.

My .02 and have a good trip.

v/r,dr

I need to fly over to Tulsa sometime in the next couple of weeks In one of the RV’s To visit the engine shops for some story research. Since they are located right across the street from Tulsa International, that seems like an obvious place to fly in to - but I’ll be there a couple days, so will get a rental car anyway, which means it isn’t hard to use another airport if KTUL is to be avoided.

Any local Gouge on the best place to go and FBO to use?

Paul

Last edited:
+2 for KRVS and Christiansen. We?ve got friends in Jenks we visit and always go here. Would go to KRVS for anywhere in Tulsa.

engines shop at KRVS

If you do go to KRVS, stop in and see Bill Cunningham at Powermaster Engines as well. He's primarily a continental 520/550 shop.

Back