What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seeking suggestions for 48 state tour

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
My RV7A is more than half way through phase 1 testing. My 14-year-old son and I had planned to take it to Oshkosh this summer but are on to Plan B. Barring any big surprises during the remainder of testing, we are thinking of a 48-state tour, probably in early July.

In light of COVID, we are thinking of camping with our aircraft and avoiding local interactions except for the fuel pump and bathroom. We will bring backpacking food for about 10 days. We are starting to think about our itinerary including the best airports for camping, and airports within walking distance of notable outdoor attractions.

I?d love to hear about your favorite airports suitable for this kind of trip.

David

If your travels bring you through East Texas you're welcome to stop here and say hi. Free camping and nice people. No spectacular things to see except the biggest flea market in the world every First Monday of the month and we'll drive you over so you can spend the day if you're into that kind of thing, or a drive through safari or even a Tiger ranch (not Tiger King but close).

If not then just remember us in case you're flying through and weather makes you look for a place to land, we'll put you up in a hangar overnight, no charge too !

David,

My son and I did a 48 state tour two years ago in our RV-7A. Details linked in my signature.

You are welcome to camp in my hangar in Alto, NM (KSRR) or Free camping on BLM land adjacent to the airport with wonderful weather in July and miles and miles of hiking. 4th of July parade in the village of Capitan and Billy the Kid show in Lincoln are a hoot. PM me to be sure I am in the area.

Back