What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB Antenna for Dynon ADSB Receiver

PhatRV

Well Known Member
I am in the process of planning the avionic installation of my RV8. What type of antenna can I use for the Dynon SV-ADSB-470 adsb receiver?

Dynon publication says I cannot use the same antenna used for the transponder. Since I prefer not to mount another antenna under the belly, can I use a smaller receiver antenna in the picture which can be mounted on top of the dash?

I would also like to know what are the possible pitfall of using this type of antenna.
Link:

815E6tA4ySL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks

Yes, people have mounted antennas like that on top of their glare shields with good success. Keep in mind that the 978 MHz one also should see the ground stations. I have a -10 with fiberglass door pillars, and I just glued my antennas there, one on each side. No issues noted, although I have not done extensive tests looking for blind spots.

On my -7A, I have two "BB on a stick" antennas on the bottom for the Skyview system. The transponder just behind the firewall, right side, and the ADSB just behind the baggage bulkhead on the left side. Not sure a topside mount would work with ADSB.

I will mount the receiver antenna on the glare shield for now and if there are problems the reception, I will move them to inside the wingtip. More cable to run though. According to the Dynon document I should only need one 978Mhz antenna since I have another blade type antenna for the transponder.

Yes you only need one antenna (978Mhz), separate from the transponder antenna. Best practice is to have them at least 2ft apart and somewhere they can "see" the ground without being blocked by metal.

If you really want to be cheap, I mean frugal, you can just expose a short piece of the coax (about 3") and use that as an antenna. Not that I would ever do something like that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back