What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for Garmin 430 NAV data

Bavafa

Well Known Member
Just wondering, is there any other source for providing the monthly data base update for the Garmin 430 other than Jeppesen?

I have been using them for the last 4 years or so but was wondering if they are the only game in town? Is there an alternative and possibly cheaper source?

Thanks in advance

Right here on VAF. A gentleman who goes by 'Cirruspilot' sells them very reasonably, by the month...matter of fact. I believe I saw him advertising on here earlier today.

Best,

I have used the update from Cirrus Pilot. Work good. I would and will use him again.
I had talked to him previously, a very nice gentleman. But I don't think his price is less than Jespersen and it would involve shipping your card to him when you get his data card. That would be good for an occasional monthly update but not for an on-going bases.

sometimes you need to just pay the big bucks. i don't see any way out unless you share a month old subscription with your buddy. hint. :D
j7l2.jpg

I switched to Garmin for my nav database subscription. I get coverage for the whole USA for about what I paid Jeppesen for western half coverage of USA.

I switched to Garmin for my nav database subscription. I get coverage for the whole USA for about what I paid Jeppesen for western half coverage of USA.

Same here...full USA navdata *and* terrain and obstacle data for just about the same price that Jepp was charging for just the nav data.

Granted, it's still WAY overpriced given that the data is collected by the government using tax money, but at least we're not stuck with only Jepp now.

Anyone still doing this?

I had previously purchased updates, via card swap from Don Ivener, however he seems to not be doing this anymore....is there anyone on this site picking up the torch?

So what is the Garmin price for full US data?

QUOTE=RV7A Flyer;1187345]Same here...full USA navdata *and* terrain and obstacle data for just about the same price that Jepp was charging for just the nav data.

Granted, it's still WAY overpriced given that the data is collected by the government using tax money, but at least we're not stuck with only Jepp now.[/QUOTE]

Last time I checked, full US for a 400W series navigator, was Garmin=$300, Jepp=$440. A few years back I spoke with Jepp on the phone and, after telling them I would switch, they offered 18 months for $440 (essentially same as Garmin). But they no longer will do that. Since being bought by Boeing I have a hard time even navigating to the right web page, leave alone finding a live rep to talk to. Bear in mind that if you switch vendors you?ll also need new hardware to translate your computer output to the datacard.

So what is the Garmin price for full US data?

Same here...full USA navdata *and* terrain and obstacle data for just about the same price that Jepp was charging for just the nav data.

Granted, it's still WAY overpriced given that the data is collected by the government using tax money, but at least we're not stuck with only Jepp now.

Is the internet broken today or something?

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

Maybe they?re listening...

So I no sooner finish my rant above about the difficulty in contacting Jepp, when I get an email announcing a new, easier to use, Jepp web site. Have not tried it yet.

Back