- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-27-2020, 02:58 PM
been here awhile

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
New one is only $50, rebulit half that.
The "new" alternator may actually be an off-shore reman or clone. It is possible to get good service from these remans or it is possible to get a real clinker with sketchy workmanship. If you have a local alternator shop my first choice would be to have them look at the alternator and replace anything needed. It is important to have reliable bearings.....bad diodes might keep the alternator from charging but bad bearings can potentially result in bits and pieces of alternator in the engine compartment or a slung belt if we are lucky.

I've been using "1977 Honda" alternators (14184) in my RV-6 for twenty years. I've had three....one of which ate the bearings in a couple of years, the other two giving good service (currently flying the third one). But anecdotal evidence seems to indicate a possible decline in reman quality the past few years.

Last edited by Sam Buchanan : 06-27-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:19 PM

The 14129 I bought is listed as all new, probably a clone. When I get it on I will take the take-off to a starter-generator place in Corpus Christ for a post mortem and possible refresh as a spare.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:22 AM

So pulled the alternator this morning and took it to Autozone for testing. Guy said it was putting out 8v. Just for grins I asked them if they had anything in stock that would fit. Nope, not for 14129 or 14184 but they can get one in about a week. Fortunately my new alternator off ebay will be here on Thursday.