What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing tank install

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
The instructions have me install the tested tank on the wing with half the bolts and screws. I haven?t found where it says to finish.

I installed the tanks fully. It wasn?t trivial the first one I did because having all the bolts line up was a little chore since riveting moved the brackets ever so slightly. I kept the tank 1/4 up off the spar and got all the bolts started then was able to snug it down with everything in.

How critical is it to have the tank half on? I?m inclined to leave it full on while I put the top skins on.

The instructions have me install the tested tank on the wing with half the bolts and screws. I haven?t found where it says to finish.

I installed the tanks fully. It wasn?t trivial the first one I did because having all the bolts line up was a little chore since riveting moved the brackets ever so slightly. I kept the tank 1/4 up off the spar and got all the bolts started then was able to snug it down with everything in.

How critical is it to have the tank half on? I?m inclined to leave it full on while I put the top skins on.

I installed all the Z-bracket bolts in my tanks and only 1/2 the screws. All fuel tank Z-Bracket bolts were installed and torqued before the bottom skin was riveted on (except for maybe the left wing). IIRC, the fuel tank may or may not have been on for the top skins. I built both tanks at the same time before the left wing was complete. I did finish the right wing this year.

Time lapse build of my wings can be viewed on YouTube. Image every 5-minutes played back 30-fps at 720p. About 2.5 minutes for 357 man hours of work. The video looks like the left wing had tank installed BUT with clecos instead of rivets. The right wing tank was built, tested, and installed flight like other than 1/2 screws.

Both wings are now complete and "fuselage kit" ordered.

Back