What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ilevil to GRT EFIS ADS-B

UH1CW2

Well Known Member
I am having trouble getting the ilevil 2 SW to send the ADS-B data to the GRT EFIS.
iLevil is configured for GDL90 protocol
I have the iLevil AUX0 Port configured for DATA OUT (is this correct)?
I am using the RS 232 TX line from the ilevil to the RX 232 Port 5 in the GRT EFIS.

Does the iLevil communicate at 230400 Baud rate ?

I have the GRT EFIS set to receive ADS-B
Using Port 5 RX
Baud rate is set at 230400 (per ilevil communication rate found on the internet as I can not get in touch with them)

Can anyone shed some light on the correct baud rate and proper settings of the ilevil unit. Do I need a ground from the ilevil to the EFIS? I have tried contacting ilevil by email, telephone and through there FAQ page for several weeks, multiple attempts! They have the worst customer service I have ever dealt with!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping one of you guys has an ilevil for ADS-B in a GRT or other EFIS.

Thanks in advance

Give the folks at GRT a call. Tech support is available Monday through Friday from 10 AM to 12 PM and 2 PM to 4 PM EDT (from their website).
They helped me through a baud rate issue for my Stratux receiver.

ilevil issue

I have been working with Jeff from GRT but he doesn't have the data on the iLevil and they do not return any communication unless you are purchasing a new product. I need the ilevil Baud rates, out protocol and setup info. If iLevil would just support their customers I would not have these questions. Frustrating company.

An app for that

Phil, a document on the iLevil "Downloads" page indicates that you get to configure iLevil's serial port yourself, using a phone/tablet connected to the iLevil via WiFi. Looks like the app is only available for iPhones/iPads.

And yes, if the iLevil is powered by its own battery, you will need to use a ground wire in addition to the data wire.

Can't guarantee this - am only reading the documentation. :)

Bo

iLevil ADS-B Customer Service?

GRT and Adventure Pilot have been helping me over the last 4 weeks in trying to get this ilevil 2 SW ADS-B unit to function correctly. After shipping out the iLevil unit and the iFly GPS to JJ at Adventure pilot and having Jeff at GRT assist by phone and emails for weeks I have discovered the issue. But first let me say to anyone considering purchasing from iLevil in the future. They never responded to my EMails, Phone calls or FAQ questions on the web site for help. Tried to contact them multiple times over several weeks, **** POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

The reason the iLevil harness would not communicate with the GRT EFIS and the iFly GPS is they wired the 4 pin jumper harness incorrectly. So the TX Data from the iLevil rs 232 port was being sent through the RX line. They crossed pin 2 and pin 3 in the 9 Pin D-Sub connector in their harness. After trying to get the ADS-B to function with the GRT EFIS until till late last night and this morning I decided to open the ilevil harness up and check the pin out of the harness with an ohm meter. Sure enough it was assembled incorrectly. They never caught it with whatever QC methods they may or may not be using. The RED and BLACK wires are swapped. This has cost me at least 40 hours of troubleshooting and aggravation plus shipping and service fees from Adventure pilot. In addition, it has wasted many man hours of Jeff from Grand Rapids Technology?s time and JJ?s from Adventure Pilot. JJ can attest to the lack of customer support as he tried several times to contact ilevil while trying to troubleshoot the two units I sent him (ifly 720 and iLevil 2 SW) due to the communication issue.

I plan on publishing this information to the Canard community as well. Any company that treats their customers like Ilevil should not have the support of the aviation community.

I can't say enough about Jeff and JJ. GRT and Adventure Pilot support are worth their weight in gold. Especially when this wasn?t even their issue.

Never again will I purchase from or recommend iLevil.

Back