VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 PM

Default Harding Icefield Kenai Peninsula Alaska

The Harding Icefield is an expansive icefield located in the Kenai Mountains of the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska. It is also partially located in Kenai Fjords National Park. It is named for United States President Warren G. Harding.

On March the 24th 2018 took a little local flight. Wasn't planning on anything special, just decided to cruise around. One thing I wanted to do was time a climb from PAEN (Kenai Airport) to 10,000 feet MSL.

Kenai is located 89ft Above Sea Level-so didn't need to adjust the altimeter as such. As I lined up on runway 2-left realized I forgot to bring my stopwatch-so decided to do the climb anyway without timing it.

Take-off roll and immediately setup trim to climb out at 80 mph which the original builder has listed as best angle. Was cleared for a Right Crosswind departure so upon reaching 600 ft AGL turned right and continued my climb towards the Chugach National Forest (Kenai Peninsula Mountains) that are located on the Kenai Peninsula. Looking to the Southeast I noticed that the Harding Icefield was looking really good!

Upon reaching 14,500 ft MSL decided to start a slow descent towards the icefield. Leveled off at 13,000 MSL and started to take movies and photos. Below are 35 of the 200+ photos I took. I'll try to describe what is shown in the photo as they are posted.

First here are a couple of views of the route flown from my Garmin Area 660 screenshots and a map that has been modified to shown the route with some names added of the various points of interest:

On the map photo I tried to add some text showing points of interest, however I could not get the color of the text to change from yellow-ish to black-will have to investigate a little more of the manual for the photo editing program I have.

Before reaching the Icefield, flew to the South of Skilak Lake here are some photos showing it-you will see it again in some future photos after I reached the turnaround point and was heading North for the return flight. These photos are looking to the North.

To finish this first post, here are a couple of photos looking directly at the Icefield-notice the smooth looking snow?

Right after taking these last two photos I started taking movies, after flying over 50% of the field, remembered to start taking photos as well. Next post continues with more photos....

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-31-2018, 05:27 PM

Default Harding Icefield Photos Continued

From this position looking South you can see Alalik Bay which is part of the Kenai Fjords National Park. In the summer you can pay to take a boat from Seward that will take you to this Bay for wildlife viewing as well as watching the glacier calve into the Bay. In past years flying, have seen killer whales, and Elephant Seals in these waters. Lots of cool looking seabirds in the this area as well.

Alalik Bay opens into the Gulf of Alaska in the background:

Here is another photo looking back at Alalik Bay and the entrance to Resurrection Bay that ends at Seward, Alaska.

From this photo point I took a photo looking to the North.

Now looking to the South again in the far right of this photo is Alalik Bay, to the left is Resurrection Bay- also a view of Rugged Island.

Heading East still, Resurrection Bay Rugged Island is the small Island mostly dark that has a small patch of snow on the top. It is the first Island along the East Side of Resurrection Bay.

Heading North Now-one last look at Rugged Island.

Before turning North here is a look at the far distance-water body is called Prince William Sound far side of the mountains!

Turning North in this turn-another look at Prince William Sound:

As you can see Real rough day for flying. No bumps, it did get to 8deg F at 14,500 ft so engine performance was great!

Heading North along the West side of Resurrection Bay leading into Seward-this photo shows the State Prison on the East Side at the base of the Mountains on the delta leading into the bay.

Next are a couple of views of Seward Alaska as I head North:

I'll end here for awhile-going in to town for some RV-6 time. Will continue this thread later tonight when I get back. Another day of CAVU!

Just received a warning: to many photos so will add the last photo to start the next post when I get back.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-31-2018, 06:22 PM

GREAT Pictures, Probably something I will never see out of the windscreen of an RV. Thanks / DRR
Old 03-31-2018, 10:09 PM

Default Harding Icefield Cont

Hi Dennis,

Sorry to hear that you don't think you can make it up. It truly is an adventure just getting here!

Thank you for the comments!

In the last post the last photo was of Seward, here is a closer look at it.

Now heading slightly North-West, these photos are looking towards the South from the North edge of the Icefield:

Now looking to the west (valley that can be seen runs almost due West from this location:

Here is a look at Exit Glacier, you can drive to this from Seward:

Ok, now looking West down the valley you can see Skilak Lake in the far distance, the lake in the middle is called Upper Russian Lake. There is a hiking trail along the Russian River. This trail is used by fisherman in the summer to fish for Red Salmon. I've rode it on my mountain bike, it is a good trail with lots of technical challenges!

Last photo for this post is a zoom of Upper Russian Lake and Skilak Lake-this photo is looking back to the West were Kenai is.

In the far, far distance are the mountains that are on the West side of Cook Inlet.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 03-31-2018, 10:35 PM

Default Harding Icefield Cont

Getting close to the end of the photos. In the first photo the valley to the right has at the very top the South End of Kenai Lake. It is a long lake that meanders through the mountains-you will see it again. The valley to the left is the same valley that has Skilak and Upper Russian Lakes in it.

This photo has some mountains a parts of the Kenai Lake, still heading towards the North. You see bits and pieces of water, these parts are of Kenai Lake, kind of gives the impression that it is long and twisty.

Now for some Misc. photos of the mountains along this route:

Here is a photo looking to the West again. Contains Skilak Lake and on the far side of Cook Inlet, Mt Redoubt a volcano.

What trip no matter how local is complete without a selfie?

Hope you like my little adventure! Short hop from home-base, 168 miles roundtrip!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
2018 Dues Paid
Old 04-01-2018, 05:20 PM

Default Alaska

Incredible Photos !