What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for FT-60 "Red Cube"

DeltaTango

I know that Dynon has the the FT-60 red cube for $200.

Someone posted a website selling the Red Cube for about $165.

Does anyone recall what the website was?

Thanks,
David

RED Cube

http://www.fdatasystems.com/pricing_order.htm

above is Flight Data systems pricing page.
I just installed their Fuel Flow unit with a single transducer,
but they offer a second transducer for planes with Fuel Injection
that have return lines, where a second transducer is required.
The single unit price is 359 and the two unit price is 519. So the Red Cube
should be 160. Even though they don't list it as a separate item.

This should be a good price as I was at the EI booth at SnF and was
offered a red cube from "under the table" show only, for 130.
The EI rep was positive that I would pay the 200+ if I called into EI to order one.

I'd call Flight Data systems!
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Shop Around

Spruce has them too. Search 'Red Cube' in Spruce's search bar.

From ACS......
Model Description
FT-60
Fuel Flow Transducer (Red Cube), .6 to 70+ GPH
10-01196
$259.95
OUCH !!!
-------------
From EI
FT-60
Flow Transducer. For use in Aircraft with engine-driven fuel pumps & Horsepower up to 350 HP.
1/4" female NPT .6 to 70+ GPH.
$295.00
Double OUCH !!!
-----------------------
This amazes me as Flight Data Systems sells there entire FF unit for 359.
including the RED CUBE. and wiring harness!!
It pays/saves to look around.

I say this but I haven't tried to buy a red cube from FDSystems without buying a FF unit.......hope they will sell separate. As they don't list it separately. (see my original post above)

Dynon sells the RED CUBE for $200.00

Spruce has the Dynon part number for the same thing for $194.50.

Dynon sometimes sells the FlowScan sensor instead of the Red Cube. So make sure you ask for the Red Cube....

The Red Cube is very accurate once you home in on the correct K-factor. The recommended starting K factor was 68,000 on the cube and I ended up tweaking to 68,560 and now my fillups match the computed amount down to .2 gallons. I will make a few more minor tweaks and get it spot on.

Last edited:
Not sure but I am glad I got the Red Cube from Dynon. It is a nice piece of work!

The EI guys claim the Red Cube is more tolerant of plumbing configurations in and out and they say that their bearings and impellers are so precise that they all can use the same K-factor for initial setup.

Hopefully this doesn't hijack the thread, but does anyone know why Dynon switched from FloScan to Red Cube?

Anybody successfully rescucitate a failed Floscan? Mine worked fine for 30 hours, then clearly indicated too low for awhile, now it's dead. When I turn on the boost pump, I get a momentary indication, then zero again. Removed it, gently blew through it both ways and reinstalled. No change. Before I drop $260 on a replacement I'd like to exhaust all possibilities.

I've had 2 Floscans in my life. One was in a Bonanza that was working with about 900 hours on the device when I sold the airplane. The other is in my -8 which currently has about 60 hours on it, and which so far has been trouble free.

Mine is acting strange.

I see FF any where between 0.0 and 11.4 gph. I know that the engine is using something around 7.5. It will sometimes read correctly, but then starts doing strange things. It is interesting that the total fuel used at fill-up time is almost always within 1 gallon of what is claimed to be used.

I guess I'll replace it.

Kent

And the answer is....

I see FF any where between 0.0 and 11.4 gph. I know that the engine is using something around 7.5. It will sometimes read correctly, but then starts doing strange things. It is interesting that the total fuel used at fill-up time is almost always within 1 gallon of what is claimed to be used.

I guess I'll replace it.

Kent

When I took it out of the plane, one of the terminal lug on the white wire fail off in my hand. I crimped a new one on and it now looks stable.

Kent

Price has now gone up to $186 on here, and I think this may be the worst example of a retail website I've ever seen, from the user-friendly aspect.

I second that. :(

Update: Credit card info was not processed correctly. Received a call from them right afterwards and got everything straightened out. Friendly folks...but they sure need a better web developer.

Last edited:
Price has now gone up to $186 on here, and I think this may be the worst example of a retail website I've ever seen, from the user-friendly aspect.

Their site is a real PITA to navigate and order the item, but the money I saved was well worth a few minutes of my time. I ordered early in the morning and it was delivered the next day! That was about 3 weeks ago.

I bought my -9A built so I don't have the luxury of knowing the installation process but my perfectly functioning fuel flow sensor started fluctuating wildly this past trip. At 65% power at 9500 ft. I usually see 6.5 gph. On this trip it would vary between this and 24.3 gph. It could stop anywhere in between and stay a while then either climb or fall. My fill up after the flight was grossly incorrect as well. The FF sensor is the Floscan 201B. Is there any reason to change to the EI "red cube" or should I replace it with another floscan? It all goes to a Dynon D120 EMS. Thanks in advance,
Dave

I bought my -9A built so I don't have the luxury of knowing the installation process but my perfectly functioning fuel flow sensor started fluctuating wildly this past trip. At 65% power at 9500 ft. I usually see 6.5 gph. On this trip it would vary between this and 24.3 gph. It could stop anywhere in between and stay a while then either climb or fall. My fill up after the flight was grossly incorrect as well. The FF sensor is the Floscan 201B. Is there any reason to change to the EI "red cube" or should I replace it with another floscan? It all goes to a Dynon D120 EMS. Thanks in advance,
Dave

I can't answer your question about the EI vs Floscan question.

I can share that on RV-10s, a fair number of folks have installed the red cube between the fuel controller and the fuel distribution spider to resolve the fluctuation issue. I don't see any fluctuations on my RV since I've done this.

bob

To back up just a bit regarding my erratic fuel flow question, how can I tell for sure if the problem is with the f.f. sensor or with the Dynon D120 EMS?

Has anyone successfully ran the signal from a fuel cube to two different systems? I'd like to feed the data to my Garmin but the JPI is using it

edit: Spoke with EI, answer is yes, just piggyback the white wire which is for signal

Last edited:
Back