What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Gear Leg Alignment

rwtalbot

Well Known Member
I'm working on aligning and drilling the RV8 gear legs. I have run into a snag. It appears I will need to grind the rear corner from the F-802K-1 L.G. FWD cross member in order to insert the rear NAS 6206 bolt in the U-804 outboard main gear attach bracket. You can see the problem in the photo below.

Is this normal? I expect some variation in the gear but I can't really see a way this will fit any other way. The two brackets are nearly parallel with the lower longerons in this position. I've double checked the plans but I really can't see another way.

2mq18af.jpg

2ekngus.jpg

To get this far I have attached plumb bobs to the leading edge of the gear, as well as some 6 foot lengths of RHS to the gear legs. By measuring forward and aft across the RHS I have the gear parallel. The plumb bobs line up and the gear itself is level with the rear of the fuselage with 0.25 inches.

2qby838.jpg

I used a 3/16 drill bit to set the distance between the lower longeron and the outboard wear bracket as per the plans.

29gbip0.jpg

That's good thanks. I rang the factory and they didn't seem to think it should look like that. I guess a picture is worth 1,000 words!

Back