What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Intersection fairing

Blain

Well Known Member
How are other keeping the trailing edge together? I don't thing my spring clamp will stay there at 180kts ;)

Cross hatch stitch.

About a #50 drill hole along the trailing edge every 3/4". A peace of .020 safety wire, cross hatch stitched, like tying your shoes and twisted closed at the bottom, make loop and tuck under as stated above. It is a good idea to leave the trailing edge a little long for this plan though. Yours. R.E.A. III #80888

Give this a try

Velcro.

I personally haven't tried this but a friend on his RV-7 has. I believe it is working well.

Pro Seal (trailing edge)

After I painted mine I used a bead of Pro Seal clamped over night. If you ever need to get the off you use a honeycomb knife or a razor blade. The upper and lower fairings will still slide up and down the gear leg.

Looks like your getting close Blain. Looking Good.

Can't bring myself to safety wire a painted fiberglass part. I'm leaning toward a #6 screw and maybe a nylon self locking acorn nut.

Gluing it together might be OK too if the leg fairings will slide low enough to get out of them.

I expected someone to show a fancy fabricated thing-a-ma-jiggy.

I used...

Found at ace, aluminum screw and flush nuts. I bought the shortest but still cut them shorter on the belt sander. Used one per side on top of my chrome vinyl covered fairings. Blain, slap a print of a "natural art form" above said area and no one will care what nut and screw you used below.
Sorry best online photo of product.
2hgu53r.jpg

Last edited:
Found at ace, aluminum screw and flush nuts. I bought the shortest but still cut them shorter on the belt sander. Used one per side on top of my chrome vinyl covered fairings. Blain, slap a print of a "natural art form" above said area and no one will care what nut and screw you used below.
Sorry best online photo of product.
2hgu53r.jpg

That's what I was looking for.
I cruise those assortment boxes at the hardware store all the time. Sometimes I buy thing-a-ma-jiggys just in case. You know where I'm going tomorrow!

Book binding screws

I've found those screws at Lowes and Home Depot in the small plastic bags. They usually have several lengths in aluminum. I think they're called "book binding posts" (or screws).

John

The nosegear fairing I bought from Fairings Inc had extra fiberglass on the inside of one side such that a small flat head self tapping screw coult be run into it from the other side. Works great.
The other fairings I formed myself and the screw is not needed.

Last edited:
Back