What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need some help identifying tip lights

Fly4Funn

Can anyone tell me who these wingtip lights were made by and where I might find replacement lenses for them. I bought them years ago from an individual who had decided not to use them. Over time, they have yellowed and I can't find any documentation on them as to who made the retrofit kit. Thanks in advance!

tip

Pretty sure those are RMD Aircraft Lighting Inc., Hillsboro, Oregon. Sorry I don't have a phone/email #. I have the same ones. Bought them in 2002 and was suprised that I was able to get replacement lenses from RMD about a year ago. Can't find the paperwork for the lenses.

The outer lenses on my RV-8 might be the same design. Here's a picture with the outer lense removed but it shows the shape well.

DSCN1433-M.jpg

Here is a view that shows the whole wingtip to compare it against your wingtip.

IMG_0613-M.jpg

I did not build this plane, and the documentation that came with it was a little lacking. I researched the tips a few years ago and made the following note: "The wingtips are the original Vans design W415 Flat-Top Wingtips with Airtech Wingtip Lens Kit (Vans? part number AN AT TIP LITE). Tip and lens kit are shown above with the outer lens removed. The lights are a custom application."

Here's a link to Vans website. The diagram makes me think I have the 715-1 wingtip.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/store.cgi?ident=1430053589-416-102&browse=lighting&product=ll_7-8

I checked "the list" on Vans' website and they do not have that part number listed. Perhaps if you call Vans they can give you the new part number.

My outer lenses hazed up a bit - I live in Texas so everything gets affected by the sun and heat - and used Micro Mesh to get the haze out with pretty good results. There are lots of products on the market that will do that without having to replace the whole lens.

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

I'll give Bob a call. The year 2002 is about the vintage of the ones I have. The lights inside are Baja Designs but that's not the lens I'm looking for. I've tried cleaning to a slight degree but not really satisfied. If I can't get them I guess I'll try cleaning a little harder.

Thanks again!

Back