What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Induction System Ideas/Advice

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I am wrestling with the decision in re: how to do my cold air induction. I have a Titan IOX-370 with the ECI sump (7 degree tilt) and the Airflow Performance FM200A injector. The basic issue is that the lower lip of the injector barrel is about 1/2" away from the inside of the lower cowl.

One option is to do a scoop, but my enthusiasm for that is low due to all the custom fiberglass work I'd have to do and the likely "less than professional" result. I talked to James Aircraft and Will didn't think their solution would work, and I've spent some time with Rod Bower and while he thinks his ram air would fit, there's that less than optimal warm filtered air issue.

So, I am reluctantly thinking about doing some work on the lower cowl to accommodate the Vans induction. I don't like putting a "bump" on the cowl, but I feel like it may be only realistic (for me) option.

So, two questions: 1-has anyone installed the Vans induction in such a situation? If so, any guidance? 2-any other ideas?

Thanks!

New Mooney M20R Ovation Induction

I like the NACA scoop on the Mooney M20R Ovation. I've heard that a NACA scoop is not as good as Van's design, but Mooney has it looking pretty good.
cj

ideas

Hi Mark,

If you go the scoop route I would strongly suggest that you follow Dan H's experience and roll your own air box with large perpendicular to the airflow filter. I am using the Rod Bower ram air and have replace the reed valves twice in < 100 hours due to cracking. I plan to build my own ram air box during the upcoming annual. The difference between the closed and open bower valve is very noticeable on the 1.5" MAP scale due to reed valve restriction. IMHO this design is ok for a quick fix ram air can but if you want the best of both worlds, build a nice large cross section filtered box that takes full advantage of your ram air scoop without the butterfly valve. just my 2 cents here....

Hi Mark,

If you go the scoop route I would strongly suggest that you follow Dan H's experience and roll your own air box with large perpendicular to the airflow filter. I am using the Rod Bower ram air and have replace the reed valves twice in < 100 hours due to cracking. I plan to build my own ram air box during the upcoming annual. The difference between the closed and open bower valve is very noticeable on the 1.5" MAP scale due to reed valve restriction. IMHO this design is ok for a quick fix ram air can but if you want the best of both worlds, build a nice large cross section filtered box that takes full advantage of your ram air scoop without the butterfly valve. just my 2 cents here....

Love the idea, but doubt the skills of the maker (me). The Vans setup is very efficient and it seems that it's the shortest distance to "done" on this particular piece of the puzzle. Now if Dan wants to sell one of his scoop and filter setups, I will wire funds today!:D

Do you have the spacer between the servo and the sump? 1/2 inch or so, plastic as I recall. After discussion with Airflow Performance, I deleted it and that solved my clearance issue. Makes the Vans snorkel thingy to the left ramp a bit closer too....though it still required quite a bit of work.

Do you have the spacer between the servo and the sump? 1/2 inch or so, plastic as I recall. After discussion with Airflow Performance, I deleted it and that solved my clearance issue. Makes the Vans snorkel thingy to the left ramp a bit closer too....though it still required quite a bit of work.

I have the machined aluminum adapter between the sump and servo, but no plastic spacer

Back