What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trimming gear box weldment?

N546RV

Well Known Member
This may be a simple question, but I'm wondering if anyone else found it necessary to remove some material from a gear box weldment. I've been assembling my gear towers today, and I'm at the point of bolting the box weldment into the right gear tower, but I can't get the washer to sit flat on one of the middle bolts. It appears that the weld in this spot was just built up a bit too much and impinges on the area around the bolt hole.

I figure I'll just file this area down until the washer fits, then shoot some touch-up primer to cover the bare metal - but I wanted to check and see if anyone else had run into this first.

Edit: Went back out to match drill and check the left box weldment, and it has the same problem. In both cases the issue is on the side of the weldment towards the rear of the aircraft. Forward bolt holes are fine for both pieces.

Photo: (click for fullsize)

Last edited:
I had the same problem but I wouldn't remove anything from the weldment. I just shaved a little off the edge of the washer where the conflict was so the bolt would seat properly.:)

Weldment Fasteners

If it were me, I would consider grinding the washer rather than grinding the weld bead. With that said, I found that installing those outboard most AN3 fasteners in the reverse direction with the bolt head inside the tower makes it much easier to to get a socket wrench onto the the nuts for the outboard landing gear brackets during the required periodic retorquing (I'm talking about the fasteners that have to be re-torqued at every annual inspection).

Skylor
RV-8

Back