What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust Install Help Needed

phapp

Patron
I'm leaving this post, but updating it despite it showing my ignorance. Maybe someone will learn from my mistake.

It fits fine. I'm very surprised my "eyeball" judgement was so far off. Once I did a more complete trial fitting, there's plenty of room (plenty as it relates to the world of aircraft engine installations).

That starter wire insulation boot does sag onto the heat muff, but I'll figure something out.

Lesson is, sometimes you just need to do a pretty complete trial fitting.

Hi,

Has anyone installed Van's stock exhaust with new style heat muff in a -8 with an Aerosport power IO-360 B1B w/SkyTech starter?

First issue is there's no way to get the heat muff on with the pipes in place. Can't get past the starter. Pretty much need the whole thing assembled and lifted into place. I can handle that.

But it looks like it will be very close on the starter. The thing that concerns me is it will be so close as to crush or be in contact with the power lead that runs along the bottom of the starter. My guess is the heat muff gets pretty toasty and one wouldn't want that wire against it.

Any advice or experience? Seems like this would be a pretty standard set-up.

If this has been dealt with, sorry, I couldn't find anything. So just point me to the thread.

Thanks.
P. Happ

Last edited:
Back