What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question re: Drilling Canopy

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
I am about to begin drilling the canopy to the frame and and as it sits on the frame, it matches up with the windshield portion very nicely and the rear rests nicely on the rear frame bow. I've done some test fitting with clamps and when I get to the rear portion of the frame, clamping the plexi to the frame results in the rear of the canopy coming up and off of the rear frame bow (which is 3/4" off the canopy slide per plans).

The instructions I have from Vans doesn't address this and it would appear that there are two approaches to this. First, keep the rear frame bow down low and add spacers between it and the canopy or secondly, bring the rear frame bow up to meet the plexi. Or I suppose I could add spacers between the plexi and the side bows which would somewhat mitigate the rise of the rear portion...maybe do both?

I feel like I'm missing something here (wouldn't be the first time)...what have others done?

Have you tried changing your clamping sequence beginning at the rear and working your way forward? You might find other areas moving and then some additional trimming required. I found trial and error required to get the proper sequence.

Have you tried changing your clamping sequence beginning at the rear and working your way forward? You might find other areas moving and then some additional trimming required. I found trial and error required to get the proper sequence.

Good point. I'll try that. I was clamping from the front and middle

Back